Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abeka or Bob Jones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manda
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Abeka or Bob Jones Reply with quote

I am new to this an have a K5 girl starting in Aug. I am looking at either Abeka or Bob Jones. I want something that planned out for me and I know want to teach. What do you think is a good full curricula for a K5?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Abeka or Bob Jones Reply with quote

manda wrote:
I am new to this an have a K5 girl starting in Aug. I am looking at either Abeka or Bob Jones. I want something that planned out for me and I know want to teach. What do you think is a good full curricula for a K5?

Honestly, I would not recommend buying a whole grade level box of books. All your little 5yo person needs to know is a little phonics, a little handwriting, and some arithmetic.

You can buy several products that are excellent for teaching reading and handwriting and arithmetic that will tell you exactly what to do.

Here's the link for "My Father's World." It covers everything, and tells you exactly what to do:

www.mfwbooks.com/

It's a whole lot less than either ABeka or BJUP, and it was written by and for homeschoolers.
Redhead
User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Bob Jones K5 curriculum this past year. I've really liked it, although it is clearly designed for classroom use rather than homeschool use.

I like how they handle learning phonics--- my 4 and 5 year old are reading simple books already, and we're not even close to finished yet. They math seems to be working well so far as well.

What I really liked was that the Bob Jones curriculum had so many extended activities that you could do with your child to reinforce the material. I also liked that the lessons were fairly repetitive in nature--- I was able to set aside the teacher manual on much of it and just go with the flow.

I'd recommend the curriculum--- it's been worth the money, and I feel pretty confident that my kids are getting a really good education from it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: