Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I would like some advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paula
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: I would like some advice. Reply with quote

Hello. My name is Paula Carver. I am 36 years old. I have 4 children(3-boys and 1-girl). They are all currently enrolled in the Public School System.
I am new to all of this. I am really interested in homeschooling them and I need some advice. Very Happy
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paula! Smile

I think the biggest thing I would suggest is really talking with your kids about why you want to homeschool. I would do it after the current school ends - yanking kids out midyear can be a bit traumatic. If they're worried about losing friends make sure you find ways for them to connect with current friends (sleep overs, shared activities or sports) and ways to find new friends (homeschool groups, clubs, etc).

If you're looking for any thing more specific... the people around here are great at helping newbies. Smile
Tearuth
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: just a thought Reply with quote

I think the advice of asking your kids why they want to be homeschooled is an excellent idea. You really don't want someone home that doesn't want to be there. It is good to let them know what your expectations are. (make sure you and your husband are on the same page) Also the advice of finding homeschooling friends was a good one as well. It can get rather lonely sometimes, although with four kids, that helps.

Glad you are on the net. Spend time going through sites reviewing different curriculum. There is so much out there, that is it somewhat daunting. If you are organized, that is a good thing.

Be prepared to have it be a full time job. Be ready for tears and for a lot of fun and memories. There are so many books out there that helps.

The advise about starting at the beginning of the new school year is good as well, it gives you time to be prepared.

At this point in the school year, there should be books fairs, etc. Again, look on line and find out when they are going to be in your area. (for viewing various curriculum)

Pray for wisdom. Enjoy your kids.

PS I have three boys and a girl too Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: