Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Georgia. New to HS idea. Lots of Questions....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HayJay'sMom
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: New to Georgia. New to HS idea. Lots of Questions.... Reply with quote

I am a mother to a son who will be 3 in May 2007. He knows how to identify and write letters, numbers, and is starting to sound out words. Knows couting and picking out numbers 1-20 and then counting to 50. Really doing great for his age.

I don't want him to be bored in entering school and want to avoid all of the problems with public school. My husband are looking into homeschooling. I am most interested in the creative homeschooling with some structured basics, but mostly encouraging his lead.

The curriculums that I have found are mostly Christian based. While I am Christian myself, I am also interested in teaching him about Darwinism. Is there a curriculum that goes into both or is that to confusing for a child?

How much can you expect to spend on curriculum materials each year? Do you recommend getting the sets that are sold online like the Calvert School that offers the materials for each grade?

I would feel comfortable homeschooling through the 8th grade, however the highschool years concern me. I am not sure I would challenge him enough (because I have forgotten a lot!). How do you do it? If you don't then that is a rough transition back into public high school, YIKES!!!

How easily are home schooled children accepted into colleges? Do they have to jump through more hoops than normal?

I will stop there although I have many more questions. I have never really been exposed to home schooling until moving here and truly feel it is such an amazing investment I can give my son if I know what I am doing.....
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, I forgot how many questions I had when I started to HS!

I can't answer them all but if you are wanting to let your child lead his education, especially in the early years, I wouldn't get a curriculum. Buy a few workbooks, for handwriting, and maybe math, but let him explore, and read, and grow, in the areas that he is interested in. When he has a question about something, go to the library and learn about it. When he asks about the natural world, let him know what you believe and what others believe. www.icr.org is a great website for answering questions in the realm of creation, and the library can answer questions toward the realm of macro-evolution.

For the other questions, I can't help you because my boys aren't dealing with High school stuff yet. I'm not worrying about it, because we will figure it out when we get a little closer. My plan is to let them older, figure out if they want to go to college, and then plan for it accordingly.

Don't be afraid to home school through the high school years. If you teach your child to love learning and HOW, to learn, they can teach themselves, you just have to keep them accountable, that's just what I've heard, and I'm hoping, Wink
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that age I'd recommend looking at before five in a row. As a storyteller and librarian, I love the way this curriculum works. The library should have most if not all the books you would need to use.

http://www.fiveinarow.com/before/

I wouldn't do too much with a three year old. Pushing too much academically and before they are ready can have the opposite results of what you might wish for.

If your child grows up watching you and your husband read, he is likely to want to read books.

If you make constructive learning available in the form of toys and outings, you'd be surprised at what he will learn on his own.

Yes, you can find materials that teach religious and secular views in science for the coming years. It's great IMO to make both available and talk with your child about your views and why you hold them.

Stellar
HayJay'sMom
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Great insight Reply with quote

Thank you!
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids are currently rising 11th and 9th graders. High school is doable at home. I have taken advantage of science labs at the local science museum. The zoo also has some home school resources.

I am considering dual college / highschool classes for a course or two this year, because I want my girl to have college experience before she actually goes off to college.

A local science teacher is offering a chemistry course for home schoolers after school hours she may take.

I will be looking for an ACT prep course for her. She is usually very good at standardized tests but found this one difficult because of the questions wording. We don't have the results back yet.

There are good curriculum materials out there, secular and religious, for most high school courses, you just have to look for them.

My understanding of colleges is that they mostly go by grade point averages and in the case of home schoolers ACT or SAT scores.

Stellar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: