Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost..please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparkalea
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Lost..please help Reply with quote

I am just researching HSing and I don't know hardly anything about different curriculums. I was wondering if any of the full curriculums come with just text books and not consumeable workbooks as I have 3 children and am looking to save some money? any feedback is appreciated.. oh yeah and any suggestions on reasonably priced christian curriculum is needed too. thanks and God bless, Candyce
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are your children? Are any of them in school already?
Sparkalea
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes my son is 7 and will be in 2nd grade and my daughter will be 5 in august and then I have a newborn
angw8
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest way is use your Bible.You can use it for learning to read ,penmanship ,reading practise etc
Get a reasonable Math program .I would suggest Developmental Mathematics by Saad -it is consumable though.
Science tends to repeat year after year the same kind of material at the early levels and I wouldn't worry too much about yet.
Borrow from your library books like The New True Books .
Teach your children domestic arts .
Buy some nice colouring books from Rod and Staff.
Start them of with a simple nature journal.
Do you have a toy library you can access?I did lots of borrowing of construction sets for my boys when they were that age.
You don't need a full curriculum at this age .
Do a unit study on caring for babies...
Make the homeschooling work for your situation .
Don't get stressed.You don't have a short term goal.You are in this for the long haul.

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod and Staff Publishers has very reasonably priced materials, and they are academically very strong. You can request a free catalog and curriculum samples by calling (606) 522-4348.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu can also supplement with online. search what type of worksheets you want and you can et them for free. Use your library as well. It is a wonderful resource for homeschoolers.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had kids that young I'd try Five in a Row for some of the materials. You can use books from the library in it.

Also I'd look for things that cover several grades like this:

Mathematics Made Meaningful With Cuisenaire Rods Pre K-8th Grade.

Write With The Best is for grades 3-12.

I'd also use the internet for fun games, quizzes and print outs.

Workbooks for early grades at the parent teacher store don't have to expensive and can cover several subjects if not all for a grade. They are consumable.

Stellar
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and books about home schooling from your library are useful as well. I checked out just about every resource book the libraries had when I was getting started.

Stellar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: