Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts type organizations that aren't BS/GS

Post information about homeschool sports and other extracurriculars here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Randigale
User

Re: 4H

Postby Randigale » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:28 am

auroragold wrote:Have you looked into 4H clubs in your area? You can always start your own chapter if there are none around

There aren't any in my area. My understanding of 4-h is that there is a lot of raising animals for food going on. I went to one of their bunny shows, and they had kids who raised show-bunnies but they had a TON of bunnies being raised to eat. And, don't even get me started on the cows and pigs!

:) Thanks for the thought, though. I think I'm going to find a way to make my own patches for things...... My kids like the idea of having a new sash for every year and filling them with patches.

Randigale
User

Postby Randigale » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:35 am

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:25 pm

We tried 4H but there really isn't anything there for kids under 3rd grade. They have Cloverbuds, but really it seemed like it was there more because they felt they had to offer something for younger siblings than they were actually participating in anything or learning anything. I wasn't impressed.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

auroragold
User

4H

Postby auroragold » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:31 pm

Too bad there's not much in your area. It's not only about raising animals though. If you look at various clubs, they each decide what their focus is: sewing, gardening, animals. So if YOU started a group - YOU could decide it's focus.

We are a part of a Cloverbuds group - all homeschooled children too. We haven't quite come up with a "focus" yet - most of our activities have focused on gardening (food, organics, butterfly gardening, etc.). I think that, over time, we may come up with more dedicated topics but maybe not!

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:56 pm

auroragold wrote:We are a part of a Cloverbuds group - all homeschooled children too. We haven't quite come up with a "focus" yet - most of our activities have focused on gardening (food, organics, butterfly gardening, etc.). I think that, over time, we may come up with more dedicated topics but maybe not!

That's WAY more than what our group focused on. It seemed like their focus was keeping the little kids quiet while the big kids were doing their thing. Each week it was some dinky craft and a coloring page. There was no learning involved at all.

Glad to hear it's not all like that. Maybe we fell in with a bad group. There's lots around here. Maybe it's time to check out a different one.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Randigale
User

Postby Randigale » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:37 pm

Maybe my problem was that I looked into it in TX. LOL. I'll go to the site and see what starting a group entails.

:) Thanks.

iamnettie
User

Postby iamnettie » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:51 pm

Another suggest is:
International Order of the Rainbow for Girls: http://www.iorg.org/

International Order of DeMolay: http://www.demolay.org/home/index.shtml

Randigale
User

Postby Randigale » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:55 pm

iamnettie wrote:Another suggest is:
International Order of the Rainbow for Girls: http://www.iorg.org/

International Order of DeMolay: http://www.demolay.org/home/index.shtml

Thanks. DeMolay is a bit too old for my son still and Rainbow Girls is a religious group. :( See why I have a problem

iamnettie
User

Postby iamnettie » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Both DeMolay and Rainbow say you should believe in a Supreme being. I was a Rainbow girl and a DeMoley Sweetheart. I can tell you neither is really religious. They both ask that you believe in something higher then yourself.

Randigale
User

Postby Randigale » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:25 pm

iamnettie wrote:Both DeMolay and Rainbow say you should believe in a Supreme being. I was a Rainbow girl and a DeMoley Sweetheart. I can tell you neither is really religious. They both ask that you believe in something higher then yourself.

When I was a Rainbow Girl, they opened a Bible to the promise of the rainbow before every meeting. Do they not do that anymore?

Anyway, my kids don't believe in a supreme being. I was going to let them join BS/GS so I asked them about it because of the bylaws for those groups. The kids were very disappointed and said that rule was "stupid". Maybe by the time they are old enough for Rainbow Girls or DeMoley it will be different, but there is a lot of time for that.

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:53 pm

auroragold wrote:It's not only about raising animals though. If you look at various clubs, they each decide what their focus is: sewing, gardening, animals. So if YOU started a group - YOU could decide it's focus.

We are a part of a Cloverbuds group - all homeschooled children too. We haven't quite come up with a "focus" yet

We were never involved in it (too young) but where we used to live there was a homeschoolers 4-H chapter that listed their focus as "homeschooling." It was just a club for the 4-H aged homeschooled kids in the area. Sounded like a great idea to me!

Ramona

janzeiger
User

Re: Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts type organizations that aren't BS

Postby janzeiger » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:18 am

I'm about to start a Roots and Shoots club in my area:

http://www.rootsandshoots.org/

Randigale wrote:I want to get my kids (6 and 7) in a club-type organization but I don't want them in Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. Any ideas??

R
Jan Zeiger, Certified Teacher
[

Jenlynn4673
User

Postby Jenlynn4673 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:50 am

There is a Boys and Girls Club. They are for children in bad situations, right?

The B&G club here is an afterschool club to give the kids a safe place to hang out with friends in a nuetral enviroment and atempt to keep the kids off the streets. It does not specifially target children in certain situations.
I used to send my boys there after school because we have NO other Children their age in my neighborhood. So they went there to play with friends for an hour every day after school.

Now that we HS, My boys (who are also 6 and 7) do go there 1-2 days a week to spend time with some of their old school friends.

Other than that... ours doesn't seem to offer much more than perhaps Basketball to kids younger than 12.

We are in the same situation as far as age goes. In the area we live, there is not much offerred aside from BSA. And, right now, with the current BSA leader in our area, we have stayed away from that.

Good luck. I think for us, unless I start something (which I am not ready for), we will just have to wait.
Jen
Mom to 2 boys
7 and 8
Officially Homeschooling Jan 2007!

WonderMa
User

Postby WonderMa » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:03 pm

I would suggest Earth Scouts.
They're a new and very rapidly growing group, with patches and whatnot, I believe. I've heard a lot about it, but don't have time to start a group in my area yet.

Return to “Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars”