Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much time...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATL Mom
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: How much time... Reply with quote

I failed to include this in my other post.

I am also wondering how much time I should plan to spend on a given topic when I begin the actual HS program.

For example, if my topic is farm animals, how much time should I schedule for covering farm animals and their habitats and other information. I know this will depend heavily on how quickly the child catches on to the information, but I will need a starting point or guideline. I'm just not sure how to determine how long a subject might take to cover.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Try a week per topic, at least for now: Reply with quote

How many topics will you be covering per year? Are you working year-round or following a semester system? How much detail do you want to go into on each topic? I'd personally schedule a week per, at least for now, since you can't go into much depth in one or two days, and a week is a good unit of time to work from, both for record-keeping purposes and to give a feeling of regularity to your child's schedule.

This is, of course, a largely arbitrary amount of time, but it's hard to go into specifics without more information Smile I'm sure once you get started, the proper amount of time to spend on each topic will become fairly obvious. Just wing it for the first few and see how it goes.
ATL Mom
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.

I will be operating on a year round basis.

For my teenager, I will be covering 5 subjects daily and other extra subjects like cooking, budgeting, etc on a once weekly type basis.

For my 2 yr old, I will be covering probably just one or two topics per weeks. Perhaps one number and one letter to focus on each week. At least until she gets older. For her, it will be mostly just exposure to routine and "school".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: