Being around children or adults?

Post information about homeschool sports and other extracurriculars here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momofone
User

Being around children or adults?

Postby momofone » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:25 am

I hope this would be the right forum to ask this...

With the social interaction, do you feel it has to include children on a daily basis or is it appropriate to be around adults most of the time?

One of the reasons I got interested in homeschooling was Bindi Irwin (the late Steve Irwin's daughter). She is such a well rounded, respectful child. I am totally impressed with her. I have heard in interviews that she is around children and homeschooled, but I wonder how many children since she lives in the park with adults. I mean, I guess the others have kids that she may spend time with, but everything I have seen was with adults.

Is it really that important that they be around kids their age daily or is daily adult interaction just fine?

Thanks!

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:44 am

That's something I'd be interested in knowing too. My dd is around more adults than children but she seems to be doing fine.
If you're concerned about either the Earth or your health, then you owe it to yourself to check out this web site!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:01 am

4given
User

Postby 4given » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:51 am

Popular opinion assumes children need daily interaction with a large group of peers for long periods of time to acquire social skills.

However, most studies by child-rearing authorities show that this type of interaction breeds peer-dependency.

We want our children to become mature, responsible individuals.

Studies show that HSing produces children who display confidence and a sense of direction, often becoming leaders.

I'm not suggesting that we take away all involvement with peers. I do believe it should not be the main source of socialization, especially in the early years.

There's my two cents :)

Sheila

Ramona
User

Re: Being around children or adults?

Postby Ramona » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:01 pm

Something else I learned this year:

Back when public school was becoming mandatory all over the US, people kept asking, "But how will our kids learn to be mature, well-rounded citizens if they never have time to spend with grandparents, uncles and aunts, neighbors, parents, and other adults in the community but only with an over-loaded school teacher?"

The term "socialization" was coined to advertise that public schools would try to do social things beyond academics to make up for taking kids out of the real world.

So no, I don't think kids need public school-style socialization. They don't need to spend time around kids of their own age group.

Actually, when kids are thrown into a crowd of other immature kids, they don't learn to socialize politely or well. They learn all sorts of bad behavior. The sink-or-swim method leads to a dog-eat-dog world.

Ramona

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:10 pm

What excellent responses. You all make some terrific points, thank you.

LasPlagas
User

Postby LasPlagas » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:57 am

jules88
User

Postby jules88 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:09 am

I was having second thought about this my self. This is my 3rd year homeschooling. Last weekend my 7yr old son went across the street to the neighbor boys birthday party. I walked him over. Most of the boys in the neighborhood were invited. He was very excited to go, even though it was sports themed. My son has played soccer and T-ball. But overall not really interested in sports. My husband was working in the front yard and noticed my son "just standing around". So, he asked me to come and see. I saw him kicking the ball. They were playing kickball and who know how they set the teams up. There must have been 20+ boys there or so it seemed. Some from the neighborhood which he knew and some from Boy Scouts which he knew and some from the birthday boys class whom he didn't know. My husband think that we should revisit the "public school" idea because he seems to be shy around lots of kids and my husband doesn't like to see him not "included". I put that in quotes because I don't think he is left out I think that he choses to not participate.
I say that because he doesn't like to play with more that one or at the most two boys at a time. "It just never works out" he says. He doesn't like to have to choose which boy to play with when they both want to do something different. He will frequently come home from one of the boys houses because he does't agree with or like how they are playing. He seems to get along with most boys, he gets invited to spend the night and go places with his friend and their families and does fine. Its just when he is in large groups that he "doesn't do well" (my husbands words).
According to my husband, when they were doing some writing activity with the boy scouts, he couldn't write as well, or spell and needed my husbands help alot. He was not focused and was easily distracted. I told my husband that things would come when he was ready, and to rush would be to make things terribly frustrating for both my son and myself.
My husband thinks that I am doing him a disservice by homeschooling and that he need to do more socialization like sports. Every year I ask what sports they want to play sometimes they want to and sometimes they don't. I'm not going to force them, what's the point?!! I feel he get lots of socialization with his one brother and 2 sisters not to mention the neighborhood kids, scouts, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins and what ever sport he is currently in. What is everyones thought on this? I could use some encouragement that I am doing the right thing by homeschooling. I think I am. But please post your thoughts even if you don't agree.

Thanks,
This is my first post on here and a desperate one at that.

Ramona
User

Maybe, maybe not

Postby Ramona » Wed May 06, 2009 9:32 am

Return to “Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars”