Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retirement: A New Kind of Schooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonPrice
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Retirement: A New Kind of Schooling Reply with quote

Millions of men and women-especially men--have difficulty working out a new routine after having schools and jobs fill the hours of their life. Here is a little on my routine in theearly years of my late adulthood.

Monday to Wednesday, March 20th to March 22nd 2006, and ten hours of talking and listening has come my way. And now, at the end of 2 and ½ days, a feeling comes over me of a mild shell-shock, a mild nausea, as if some poison has entered my system due to that excess speech. Is this the natural result of having been a quiet only child, always being able to enjoy his own company, silence, the pleasure of being by himself of giving himself up to solitude, then, being plunged into a world of words, of listening, of talking, so much talking and listening for, what, 50 years? 40 years? 30 years? When did all those words begin, words that left me with a feeling of satiety, of having had enough, more than enough? Was it partly the result of cracks in my system due to that bi-polar disorder? The 1000’s of hours in classrooms for well-nigh half a century? And endless meetings, oh so many meetings! Yes, excess of speech has been for me, if not “a deadly poison,” then at least a source of some debilitating toxicity. The time has arrived for me to “observe silence and refrain from idle talk.”1 I have now had 8 years of 8 hours a day of reading, writing and silence and a break in that routine proves difficult.-Ron Price, Pioneering Over Four Epochs, March 23rd 2006; and 1Baha’u’llah, Gleanings, US, 1956, p.265. Arrow

The words that give me pleasure
have no voice or sound, but I put
them in my head and they go round
reverberating with their silent tuning
in a world of vibrations that exist in
an inner, oral, dimension and feeling--
poet’s form--we are not talking about
shape, number of lines or rhyming.

Those affinities and potencies for
all those years helped me get my
jobs done, helped me survive in
the world of people and words.

But now my aspiration is about
the working of a spiritual force
within me, conversing with an
eternal wisdom and trying to find
that poetic genius that Raine says1
is natural to some, must be worked
at for others, must be obeyed and is
part of acquiring radiant acquiescence.

1 Kathleen Raine, The Inner Journey of the Poet and Other Papers, George Allen and Unwin, London, 1982, p. 72.

Ron Price
March 23rd 2006
RonPrice
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: More On Retirement: When The Homeschool World Ends Reply with quote

It has been some 4 weeks since that last post; I'll add one more item here and wait for a response--if it comes. And, if it doesn't, it will just confirm my mother's words when I was a child that: "most of life is waiting.".....When all the school and job issues are behind you, the following may be a useful perspective:

A MIND LIVELY AND AT EASE

It is said that an artist’s work is the sum total of his experience. The artist does not create from a tabula rasa, but from a rich menu of specific and unspecific experience, grey and vague and highly and variously coloured. The artist drafts his own destiny as he drafts his music, his art, his sculpture or his poetry, at least in part. And he is never sure, as Stephen Spender puts it, however confident he may be, whether he has misdirected his energy, or whether his poetry is insignificant and irrelevant or great and important. -Ron Price, Pioneering Over Three Epochs, 8 August 2000.

A mind lively and at ease
is a gift of fortune
and gives meaning and value
to perceived experience,1
to the deep and rich
satisfaction of my own writing
and to the slow charting of the
progress toward our destiny.

The unperturbed mind
is quickest and can deal
with the vanity of vanities, life,
which we must both accept and
reject, which pierces us with its
nonsense and its strange relations.

1 Jane Austen, Emma.

Ron Price
8 August 2000

As you get older and classrooms and rooms where you have been "jobbed" are behind you, you may want to write an overview of your life. Here is some of mine--I think it throws light on some issues at this site. You may not agree....that is okay...Ron

Having completed my autobiography or, at least, completed a fifth edition in a form that is satisfactory to me in the first two volumes and keeping in mind that I will in all likelihood make additions to it in the years ahead, I want to write a sort of addendum or epilogue in the pages which follow. I write in part because I want to contribute to the world and I want audiences to read my work hoping, among other reasons, to find a new or at least an altered perspective on their lives. Therefore, one of my aims is to try and make my own perspective new—stake out a territory that requires my voice, a voice that has similarities to others but is, in the end, uniquely mine. I feel I have done this in the territory of the Baha’i Faith and autobiography and I hope some readers find some of this uniqueness and enjoy it.

Autobiographical writing has been redefining the meaning of narrative in recent decades, as the explosion of memoirs by writers such as Frank McCourt, Mary Karr, Dave Eggers and Kathryn Harrison, among others, suggests. It may be that, inspite of the best intentions, inspite of my own perception of the quality of this work and the pleasure I take in reading it, my work may not engage the readers in the Baha’i community as much as I’d like to see happen. I think engagement entails defining a common enterprise that newcomers and community veterans can pursue as they try to develop their interpersonal relationships. I think I do this quite well, at least I have tried; such is my personal perception of how successful I have been. But as readers continue in their interacting trajectories in their communities and as they continue to shape their identities in relation to one another, they may not find this book that useful. The roads in our life, paved as they are with good intentions, often do not lead anywhere at all.
smith02
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree that this is definitely one possible way with the help of which complete peace of mind can be attained. But having said that there are many who despite their urge cant do the same as circumstances compel them to do otherwise. Thus at times it can be hard to maintain this knowing very well that this is the best possible way to allievate from the exhaustion undergone.
RonPrice
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: I Quite Agree Reply with quote

In our private life, in our public life and, as far as the topic of this site is concerned, in our home-school life the sorting process, the decision-making routines and the existential-milieux itself have to be sorted out in so many different ways. I wish you well in your sorting. Thanks for your note.-Ron Price, Tasmania. Arrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: