Hi! I am new :)

If you are homeschooling outside the US, or doing a lot of moving between military bases, share your stories, questions, and tips here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

DESmom
User

Hi! I am new :)

Postby DESmom » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi everyone. I am new to the board but not homeschooling, well not that new, or to the military.
I have 6 kids, Katelyn is 9, Breanna is 7, Danelle is 5, Morgann is 3 1/2, Terresa is 2 and Timothy is 7 months. We have been homeschooling for 4 years, Katelyn was in PS for the first half of Kind.
We are currently in South Korea, DH is in the army. Till now I have put our own material together, but this summer, we school in the summer due to weather and break for fall, we are slowly moving to a curriculum program. Although the oldest 2 girls will be using different programs, we are sticking with the type of learning they do best with, which means different programs.
Chele
Homeschooling mom to
Katelyn, Breanna, Danelle, Morgann, Terresa, Timothy and Isabella

janzeiger
User

welcome!

Postby janzeiger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:48 pm

welcome!
Jan Zeiger, Certified Teacher
[

angw8
User

Postby angw8 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:52 am

How interesting -South Korea !
Have you met any other homeschoolers there ?
What about the local people ?Have any of them asked about your homeschooling ?
Are you in a nice locale ?When my daughter visited South Korea as a stopover ,it seemed very built up without much nature .
How do you find it?
Ang

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...

4given
User

Re:I'm new here

Postby 4given » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:21 am

Welcome to the forum! Wow, you have the stairsteps happening. I look forward to learning from you and your unique experiences.

DESmom
User

Postby DESmom » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:44 pm

Thank you all. Yes we have a bit of stair steping but it keeps like interesting :)
We are in Seoul, on the southern edge of the city. There is a pretty active homeschool group of kids, mainly military here in Seoul. We have a few American none military in the group too though.
Seoul is the most common place to fly through so if your DD was here on a flight, this is where she flew in, it is basically the only international airport in Korea. Seoul is one of the 5 largest cities in the world. The city is not a reflection of most of Seoul.
We are the only Americans that live in out little neighborhood, all the local kids are sent to school 5 or 6 days a week. Alot of the private schools have half day of school on sat, specially for high school students. They find us odd for many things, but yes homeschooling is one of them. They find it intersecting that we were do that, not due to the number of kids but just at all. School is very important here and some kids are in school from 7-8am till 6-7pm and that is school, not after school groups or sports. They all go home for lunch and dinner.
We have been here just over a year and enjoying it. We have 2 more years here. The girls are learning some Korean and have a few friends that live near by. It can be hard to play with them their friends spend all day in school, at age 9 they arn't home till 4-5 and we are 5 mins or so from the school.
We are learning alot. There are times it is hard for me, alot of adults my age have very limited English and most moms work leaving no one home while the kids are at school or grandma/pa with the little ones while they work. They tend to be a very family rooted country, many grandparents live with the family and help with the children and house, while both parents either work or dad works and mom helps care for sick or elderly family members. In parts of the country, like areas of Seoul this is not the common way anymore, but in other areas and with some families it still is.
Chele

Homeschooling mom to

Katelyn, Breanna, Danelle, Morgann, Terresa, Timothy and Isabella

angw8
User

Postby angw8 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:38 am

Thank-you Chele very much for your chatty message.I enjoyed reading it.
Wow ,thats a lot of school for those children!
Ang

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...

GJoeM
User

Postby GJoeM » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 am

Hi all, I am new to the forum, homeschooling our daughter, in a smallish city near Seoul. How is the homeschooling progressing for you ? Do you have any regular meeting groups?

Return to “Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling”