Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi! I am new :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DESmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Hi! I am new :) Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am new to the board but not homeschooling, well not that new, or to the military.
I have 6 kids, Katelyn is 9, Breanna is 7, Danelle is 5, Morgann is 3 1/2, Terresa is 2 and Timothy is 7 months. We have been homeschooling for 4 years, Katelyn was in PS for the first half of Kind.
We are currently in South Korea, DH is in the army. Till now I have put our own material together, but this summer, we school in the summer due to weather and break for fall, we are slowly moving to a curriculum program. Although the oldest 2 girls will be using different programs, we are sticking with the type of learning they do best with, which means different programs.
janzeiger
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: welcome! Reply with quote

welcome!
angw8
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How interesting -South Korea !
Have you met any other homeschoolers there ?
What about the local people ?Have any of them asked about your homeschooling ?
Are you in a nice locale ?When my daughter visited South Korea as a stopover ,it seemed very built up without much nature .
How do you find it?

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...
4given
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Re:I'm new here Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Wow, you have the stairsteps happening. I look forward to learning from you and your unique experiences.
DESmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. Yes we have a bit of stair steping but it keeps like interesting Smile
We are in Seoul, on the southern edge of the city. There is a pretty active homeschool group of kids, mainly military here in Seoul. We have a few American none military in the group too though.
Seoul is the most common place to fly through so if your DD was here on a flight, this is where she flew in, it is basically the only international airport in Korea. Seoul is one of the 5 largest cities in the world. The city is not a reflection of most of Seoul.
We are the only Americans that live in out little neighborhood, all the local kids are sent to school 5 or 6 days a week. Alot of the private schools have half day of school on sat, specially for high school students. They find us odd for many things, but yes homeschooling is one of them. They find it intersecting that we were do that, not due to the number of kids but just at all. School is very important here and some kids are in school from 7-8am till 6-7pm and that is school, not after school groups or sports. They all go home for lunch and dinner.
We have been here just over a year and enjoying it. We have 2 more years here. The girls are learning some Korean and have a few friends that live near by. It can be hard to play with them their friends spend all day in school, at age 9 they arn't home till 4-5 and we are 5 mins or so from the school.
We are learning alot. There are times it is hard for me, alot of adults my age have very limited English and most moms work leaving no one home while the kids are at school or grandma/pa with the little ones while they work. They tend to be a very family rooted country, many grandparents live with the family and help with the children and house, while both parents either work or dad works and mom helps care for sick or elderly family members. In parts of the country, like areas of Seoul this is not the common way anymore, but in other areas and with some families it still is.
angw8
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you Chele very much for your chatty message.I enjoyed reading it.
Wow ,thats a lot of school for those children!

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...
GJoeM
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I am new to the forum, homeschooling our daughter, in a smallish city near Seoul. How is the homeschooling progressing for you ? Do you have any regular meeting groups?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: