Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do I need to do now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andall
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: What do I need to do now? Reply with quote

Hi, I just received a call from the district saying that they cannot send me my sons school record because I have to call( Home Choice) which is where they are going to send the record to. District says I need to call them so they can decide wheather I am able to teach my son or not and if I am using the proper curriculum for him. Please help what do I do now. I did file the affidavit and did send the letter of intent I am in California in San Bernardino. Thanks.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From California Homeschool Network: The Private School Option:

A private school is established by following the requirements in the Education Code. Once the school has been established, it must file a private school affidavit annually (ยง33190.) This affidavit does not establish a school; it merely lets the California Department of Education (CDE) know that a school has been established. Any individual may establish a private school in any location without a teaching credential or a business motive as long as he or she follows these statutory requirements.

It looks to me like the affidavit is for notification only, and the district has no right whatsoever to rule on whether or not you're "allowed" to homeschool your child. I don't know if you can force them to send you your son's school record as well, but if you're homeschooling now, that doesn't really matter much, since every curriculum is different and you'll probably want your son to take a placement test anyhow if you choose a specific packaged curriculum.

My advice is to call the district back and let them know that by filing the affidavit, you have fulfilled all the requirements for opening a private school in California. If they make further trouble, contact your state homeschool groups and HSLDA (which you probably want a membership with just in case) and let them deal with the district. The disagreement will be over very quickly, and in your favor.
andall
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advise. I called the people from Home Choice and the lady that answered the phone said that if I had already filed that affidavit as a privat school that was all I needed to do, that maybe the person from the district didn't know what to do in a situation like this. She told me that Home choice is also available if I ever decide to go with a public school at home and that I was welcome to go and check them out they are located in my sons previous school. Now I wanted to ask you, do they need to give me the school record of my son or can I do fine with out it. The reason I ask is because today I pulled my other son out of school and the lady at the office told me they never give the records to the parents that I can only make an appointment to view them and then they will see if they let me make some copies at 10 cents each. It seems they don't care that I have set a private school at home, as long as is my home to them is not a private school.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are now officially a private school from the viewpoint of the state, the school should have to give you your son's records - unless they have some asinine policy that states that records are never to be transferred between schools. Take a few minutes and put together some "official letterhead" for your private school, then mail or fax them a formal request for the records of student x (your son) who is now a member of private school y (come up with some name). If they still won't hand over the records, then they are no doubt in violation of the law, in which case you can go back to your state homeschool organizations and/or HSLDA and ask them to take necessary legal action.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I need to do now? Reply with quote

andall wrote:
Hi, I just received a call from the district saying that they cannot send me my sons school record because I have to call( Home Choice) which is where they are going to send the record to. District says I need to call them so they can decide wheather I am able to teach my son or not and if I am using the proper curriculum for him. Please help what do I do now. I did file the affidavit and did send the letter of intent I am in California in San Bernardino. Thanks.

The district does not have the legal right to approve or disapprove your teaching materials. They also may not decide whether or not you may homeschool your dc.

San Bernadino is generally not homeschool friendly. Do not let them bully you around. Do not call the district. You don't have to have your dc's records; let it go.

If I were you, I'd join HSLDA immediately if not sooner.
andall
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ellimaejune, I will do that I will join HSLDA and I'm glad I don't need the school record. Thanks
andall
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it seems that the people at the school or district don't understand the law. I will have to wait until I join HSLDA if I really want the record. I did give them that letter with the name of our school but since I am the administrator and they see my name they don't take me serious. But is nice having someone giving you advice on what to do cause I am too new at this and some times I feel like I wont be able to keep up with this. Thank you for your advice Theodore I really appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: