Will people take me seriously?????

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Bekah
User

Will people take me seriously?????

Postby Bekah » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:45 pm

Hello, I just wanted to bounce an idea off some home school parents. I’m 19 and just graduated from a home schooling program myself. For the past school year (05-06) I helped a family with their daughters home schooling program, I did all of the instructional, grading, record keeping , and planning work. I will be moving to Michigan in a few weeks and I was wondering if there was a possibility that I could pursue the same kind of work there.
I guess what I’m asking is, do any of you think that people will take a 19 year old girl seriously about helping teach their children?
:?:
Remember we can never regain out yesterdays, only achieve our tomorrows.

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:33 am

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:03 am

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

Theodore

Re: Will people take me seriously?????

Postby Theodore » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:53 am

Depends what level of teaching you're trying to do, and what you're charging per hour. Regardless of how brilliant you are, you won't have the same teaching experience as someone twice your age, so you won't be able to charge as much as they could. Still, I think most people will reserve judgement until after your first lesson, and assuming you do a good job, you can use references from the first few families to help you get clients later on.

Incidently, $20-$25 / hour seems to be fairly standard for undergraduate-level tutors teaching a single student, + a bit extra per mile if you have to drive more than a few miles.

Aspie
User

Postby Aspie » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:31 am

merkelbonds
User

Texas

Postby merkelbonds » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:35 pm

I had someone ask me just the other day where they could find someone to teach their children at home. I thought the idea absurd because I didn't think they could find anyone. Guess I was wrong. Good luck. I hope you find a great family.
Melissa

"Be still and know that I am God..." Psalm 46:10

maherwoman
User

Postby maherwoman » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:40 pm

As for myself, personally, if I encountered a woman your age, and she had good references, examples of her work, and the background that you do, accompanied with being a good, hard-working, motivated, genuine person, I wouldn't have any problem hiring/using her abilities in my homeschooling.

I am a firm believer in giving a person a chance, especially if they are young. When I was your age, I was in my second year at a corporate job, making $1700/month, had my own place, and was a mother shortly before my 20th birthday. I know what a woman can accomplish...no matter what the age!

You sound like a highly-motivated and responsible person...wish you were moving to Southern California instead! I'm just starting out and could use the help in at least giving ideas and breaking me in to the homeschooling scene! :)

I think it's wonderful that you have this work under your belt, and hope that someone takes it as seriously as I would. Good luck and my best wishes to you! :D
Rosie*

milehimom
User

Postby milehimom » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:17 am

I think it's a great idea. If you enjoy teaching, I would advise going to school while homeschool-tutoring in order to get a teaching credential. That would certainly cause parents to take your more seriously, and it would make your more marketable in the future, or provide your more options should you tire of the homeschool setting. In addition, the classes might give your some great ideas about learning styles or strategies for teaching!

In my state, Colorado, a homeschool parent or tutor with a teaching credential doesn't have to comply with the mandatory annual testing of her children!! I do have a credential and I like that I have an option to have my kids tested or not!

Good luck to you!
milehimom
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

suzie
User

Yes!

Postby suzie » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:27 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:16 pm

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”