Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instead of HeadStart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SophiesMom
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Instead of HeadStart Reply with quote

My daughter will be three for the upcoming Fall session of our local HeadStart. Everyone has been trying to convince me to enroll her, but I want to home school her (right on through elementary school and probably middle school). My main concerns with HeadStart is their ironclad rule about being potty-trained and their lack of one-on-one involvement with the students. There are children I know who have attended this particular HeadStart who have serious developmental delays and other problems (autism, mild retardation etc.) who went through there and nothing was said to the parents!! What do you suggest I do with my daughter in place of sending her to HeadStart/preschool? We are already working on colors, shapes, counting, and so far the letters in her name. Thanks.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: If you don't want to put her in school, then don't: Reply with quote

If you don't want to put her in school, then don't. All you need is a phonics curriculum and a packaged kindergarten (or preschool materials and then kindergarten, depending):

http://www.home-school.com/mall/curriculum/phonics.html
http://www.home-school.com/Mall/Bioalpha/Bioalpha.html
http://www.home-school.com/mall/curriculum/general.html
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsS a pre-school teacher in my past, I found that all headstarts are different, it all depends on the lead teacher. If you don't like this Headstart than don't feel bad about not sending her. Talk to other parents that are concerned and start a little playgroup. Right now you are teaching your daughter more than what she would learn in some Preschools anyway. Just keep doing what you are doing and it will be fine. Just because others feel it's the right thing to do doesn't mean that it is.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
SophiesMom
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the links. I found a kindergarten curriculum I liked off of one of them (Living books foundation year). I'm wondering if anyone has heard of it or used it. Is it good? It's pretty pricey so I want to get some feedback before I purchase it. Thanks again Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: