Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Science

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
groovyhsmama
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Science Reply with quote

What kind of science ideas/projects would you do with a 5yo?
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baking soda and vinegar is always fun, and you can put celery in colored water and watch it change colors, or create glue / plastic from milk and vinegar, or grow salt / sugar crystals, or do pretty much anything that's visual and not too complicated. The experiment end of things may be a little advanced for a 5 year old to actually retain, however, so I'd personally focus more on science and less on science experiments per se.
4given
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Science Reply with quote

At that age, my kids enjoyed JellyStone Crystals. They're fairly inexpensive, reusable, and colorful. You can use them to experiment with absorbency and water.

Catch some bugs and find some books to match... learn about the life, eating habits, babies of particular bugs.

Butterfly Gardens are fun. Takes a few weeks for the process, though.

Plant some seeds in a container that allows you to see the roots grow.

That's off the top of my head. I'll keep thinking.

Happy Science!
Sheila in IN
groovyhsmama
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Science Reply with quote

At that age, my kids enjoyed JellyStone Crystals. They're fairly inexpensive, reusable, and colorful. You can use them to experiment with absorbency and water.

Catch some bugs and find some books to match... learn about the life, eating habits, babies of particular bugs.

Butterfly Gardens are fun. Takes a few weeks for the process, though.

Plant some seeds in a container that allows you to see the roots grow.
I was planning on this one in bold already esp now that it is spring. I will have to find a jellystone crystal.
Thanks for your help!

groovyhsmama
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
Baking soda and vinegar is always fun, and you can put celery in colored water and watch it change colors, or create glue / plastic from milk and vinegar, or grow salt / sugar crystals, or do pretty much anything that's visual and not too complicated. The experiment end of things may be a little advanced for a 5 year old to actually retain, however, so I'd personally focus more on science and less on science experiments per se.

Awesome, do you have a site to help me "teach" him about what is going on. I do not have any curriculum as of yet.
Thanks!
angw8
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you teach from nature .
Do observation and learn to identify birds,insects ,plants etc
Also start a garden if you can.
Keep a simple weather chart .

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...
mom1967
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: snapcircuit - Reply with quote

This is very nice game. I think this snap circuit can be started at 5. It has different levels to choose from when you buy. He will work on it for couple years as the observation makes more sense to the kid.

My son always use it to test if my battery is really dead Wink
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovyhsmama wrote:
Awesome, do you have a site to help me "teach" him about what is going on. I do not have any curriculum as of yet.
Thanks!

I don't know of a site for this, no, but it probably isn't hard to find one using Google. You don't really need a curriculum for this at his age anyway - just do fun experiments, turn over rocks and look at the bugs, collect butterflies, grow plants, and so on. As long as you know what everything is and how it works, you can explain it to him verbally.

The object for now is just to instill a love of science. Formal curriculum can come later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: