extracurriculars, eh?

Post information about homeschool sports and other extracurriculars here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

extracurriculars, eh?

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:52 pm

lets see, we have rollerblading with the local HS group down at one of
the local rinks. (he saw the light about making a profit from afternoons
when everyone else is in school.. ) :)

then for my son, we have places in one of the local community bands.
so he gets band practice that way. :)

Postby Lenethren » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:40 pm

Rollerblading sounds fun. Where I am we don't have any actual extracurriculars that are set up just for homeschoolers. That doesn't stop us from doing a ton of activities though...between the kids they have swim lessons, dance lessons, fencing lessons, and music. In the spring we have a variety of sports...soccer, lacrosse, and baseball. We also joined our local Young Naturalists Club where we go on a monthly fileld trip.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

Postby AZAEsix » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:26 pm

Try Martial Arts...any style. They are excellent physically, and are a superb for building motivation and discipline. Not to mention that in themselves they can better a child's life in ways you may not expect. Many martial arts schools have daytime programs you can take advantage of. Also, some rec centers or the YMCA or YWCA offer courses.
New Horizons Home School Academy

Postby groovyhsmama » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:41 pm

My son just started t-ball.

Postby WAHMBrenda » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:56 am

My dd is really involved in church, she also takes 2 classes at the library. Otherwise, there's a playground right down the street where we go on nice days. I don't really do much in the way of extracurriculars I guess but she's only 5 and hasn't shown any real interest in any yet either.
If you're concerned about either the Earth or your health, then you owe it to yourself to check out this web site!

Postby Calla_Dragon » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:42 am

My older son has swimming lessons 1x/week, skating lessons 1x/week, lego class 1x/week, a HS lego club 1x/month, a kids' exercise class 1x/week, Kung Fu 1x/week, one story time a week and park time each day (now that it's getting nice out). We have various field trips with our local HS groups and we take lots of field trips and/or vacations as a family.

Come summer my son will be involved in a lot of sports camps, t-ball, soccer, etc. He's a total sports kid and loves every sport he's tried thus far.

My younger son's schedule is a little less hectic with swimming 1x/week, exercise class 1x/week, Kung Fu 1x/week, story time 1x/week and park time and the field trips and vacations, as well.

Come summer he will likely be involved in art and music classes as well since that's where his interests swing.

I think Sunday is the only day we don't have to go anywhere (but we almost always do) and thank goodness for that. By the time Sunday rolls around, my house is a disaster and I'm way behind on my schoolwork because we're never home during the week. :lol:
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Postby novo4 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:47 am

Don't all extra curriculars cost a ton? What is the typical amount that you spend/year on them?

Postby Theodore » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:50 pm

Our neighborhood swim team doesn't cost much. Civil Air Patrol is free, but you have to buy uniforms and gear and so on, which can be fairly expensive. Martial arts, music lessons, etc. can cost quite a lot of money. Field trips cost very little. Sports we can do free through our local high school if we want (one of my brothers was in the Rockwood swim team for a season).

Bottom line, there's quite a bit you can do on a small budget, but some extracurriculars are going to cost money.

Postby StellarStory » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:01 pm

My kids have TONS of options. They choose to exercise relatively few of them.

Right now they are each involved with a "sport", aikido and tennis.

They are also part of a local teen group of home schoolers.

Other than neighborhood happenings and playing that's all they want to do.

I'm happy with that. It certainly keeps us busy enough, along with the work my husband and I do, and our social life which is with families.

I'm a HUGE fan of not having too much to do. Yet it always still seems like too much.

Return to “Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars”