Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could use some help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedFishBlueFish
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Could use some help Reply with quote

and after googling this forum came up. It's a bit of a long story. My daughter is 7 and in first grade. My husband is severely dyslexic and has dysgraphia. So in January when her teacher contacted me and wanted to hold my daughter back because she's falling behind I started pushing towards testing her.

They refused saying they do not test before the ages of 10-12. So one day I took her to a special school that specializes in dyslexia and hands on teaching and had her tested. She is dyslexic and she's been enrolled in the school for the 2013-14 school year (and beyond)

However for the current time she's stuck in our school system which to put simply. SUCKS. The Special Education classes are a joke and a half. So I'm considering withdrawing her from the Public School and homeschooling for her for the remainder of the school year (2 1/2 months)

I'm in Indiana and the laws here are really simple. I'm just really scared that I'm going to screw her up by attempting to work with her at home. I really want to focus on letters, their sounds, and reading and phonics. However when talking to my friends about this one of them went crazy on me telling me that because I'm not a skilled professional I could set her back really far and it's just made me nervous about trying it.
Nathan
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Don't Let Them Get You Down Reply with quote

Any well meaning sane parent going out of their way to improve the life of their child can't screw them up that bad. Many of the "professional teachers" are in their current position by default. You know what your child needs much better than any bureaucratic administrator. Give it a shot for the time period you are talking about. How badly can you possibly screw your child up in 2 1/2 months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: