New to homeschooling... need curriculum advice....

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

nmmiller79
User

New to homeschooling... need curriculum advice....

Postby nmmiller79 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi All,

Well we are new to homeschooling.... I have an almost 8 year old (2nd grade level) and a 10 yr old (4th grade).

We recently removed them from public school and are beginning the homeschooling process. I'm leaning more towards the "unschooling" ways, but I want to make sure they have the basics first.

I can't seem to find my way to the best curriculum to use for the basics for them. Looking mainly at Math and Reading/Spelling/Grammar. The 2nd grader needs help in all of these areas - mostly because she "doesn't like" to do it. Not that she can't. The 4th grader is more advanced (on the last Harry Potter book & was starting Algebra in school). So I need things that will challenge her.

We're moving off grid to a VERY remote location, so my resource opportunities are a little more limited than most. Can anyone suggest what curriculum you think might be best for these areas?

The other areas we are going to attack as we go - as in - if they want to learn about weather - that's what we'll study. The 10 year old loves Ancient Egypt - so we'll probably start there for our History lessons.

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks!
Nicole
Our 180
taking. life. back.
www.our180.com
facebook.com/our180

ahmedvu153
User

Postby ahmedvu153 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:49 am

I tend to think that less is more, sometimes. I am not too familiar with Risas y Sonrisas program, but I intend to check it out as I am constantly looking for programs and ways to help keep the kids interest in Spanish up.

mathias12
User

home schooling

Postby mathias12 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:32 am

i am new to this home schooling thing.
i am a mom of 2 boys 2 years old and almost 1 year old.

how do i sit down with my 2 year old and teach him the basics of the preschool. so that when he go to a preschool then he will be ready?

then after both of my boys are out of preschool i want to homeschool them.
any ideas on what curriculum to use or what i should do at the age that my boys are at?

maddisen

elliemaejune
User

Re: home schooling

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:51 pm

mathias12 wrote:i am new to this home schooling thing.
i am a mom of 2 boys 2 years old and almost 1 year old.

how do i sit down with my 2 year old and teach him the basics of the preschool. so that when he go to a preschool then he will be ready?

then after both of my boys are out of preschool i want to homeschool them.
any ideas on what curriculum to use or what i should do at the age that my boys are at?

maddisen

Maddisen, you might get more replies if you start a new topic. :D
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

evelynguerrero
User

Re: New to homeschooling... need curriculum advice....

Postby evelynguerrero » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:25 am

Do not worry homeschooling is the easiest way to improve your career and knowledge.We can easily build up our ideas from home schooling.Many of the people are interesting to do the homeschooling and presenting many resources are providing the homeschooling ideas and learning tips for the students and people.All resources are not giving good homeschooling guidelines and sites so be careful before selecting the homeschooling sites and resources.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”