Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meeting Homeschool Music Requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Music / Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessicaparnell
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Meeting Homeschool Music Requirements Reply with quote

One of the biggest questions asked by our parents is, How do I teach music to my homeschooler?

Music is another elective that must be covered every year but does not need to be a formal course. Some choose a research method; others use music lessons; and still others use their children’s involvement in music activities.

Some great suggestions:

Piano or other instrument lessons
Voice lessons
Involvement in a children’s or youth choir
Participation in a musical
Music appreciation activities (focus on an artist, his work, time period, other similar artists, etc.)
Study of a specific genre (classical, jazz, opera, etc.)
Field trips to concerts, musicals, or other music events (check out your local college or university for terrific music events)
Study of a specific instrument
Music is a wonderful tool that has been proven to impact the development of the brain. I encourage you to put some real time and effort into exposing your child to a variety of music activities before the age of nine.

According to research studies, children will have developed their capacity for music by the age of nine. This does not mean they will not progress after the age of nine, but that the foundations that have been laid by that time will define how far they will progress.

In most states, students must complete a formal music course sometime between grades 7 & 12. You can purchase a formal music course through a homeschool curriculum provider or provide formal music lessons in order to fulfill this requirement.
mamaholly
User

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband plays piano and guitar and I'm quite jealous of him. This year, both my DS and I will both take instrument lessons. Hopefully I will learn enough to begin initial musical instruction with my younger child and any future children I may have.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in an area where music is not stressed by the Public schools, Private schools, or home schoolers. I offered violin and viola lessons and tried to start a beginning orchestra. I even went to all the private schools in the area and sent notes home with the students offering these lessons. There was just no interest by anyone. I found that most people just skip over it. It isn't required in NC so they figure why bother. The people I have actually spoken with said that they didn't feel like music was important in their child's life and that taking music lessons would either not be worth the money or interrupt their child's sports schedule. I really thought this was sad!

My kids take music! I teach them music theory and violin/viola lessons. Both of them are also taking piano this year from their Grandmother. I have been blessed with a very musical family so my kids don't get a choice. They can pick a different instrument if they want but they have to learn to read music, that is my only real requirement.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Meeting Homeschool Music Requirements Reply with quote

jessicaparnell wrote:
In most states, students must complete a formal music course sometime between grades 7 & 12.

Jessica, I have not found this to be true at all for homeschoolers. Even if "fine arts" or "music" is listed as needing to be taught, there is not a definition of the extent to which it must be taught.

It isn't that I don't think music is important or valuable, but IMHO it just isn't accurate to say that "most states" require a "formal" music course to be taught.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCMom,

That's sad that no one in your area finds music important. There are several studies which show children involved with music lessons do better academically. Nonetheless, the studies may have been biased since parents who can afford music lessons probably can afford more learning opportunities anyway. But who knows?

Our DD takes piano lessons and guitar lessons. She also takes several dance classes and acting classes as well as team sports depending on the season. When there's conflicts, music wins out.....unless it's soccer since my DH is British. Laughing
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minniewannabe wrote:
NCMom,
since parents who can afford music lessons probably can afford more learning opportunities anyway. Laughing

I agree with you on this but in this case it was not excuse for the parents around me. I don't charge that much. I charge between 7 and 10 a lesson and the orchestra was free as part of the lessons. Most music teachers I have talked to charge between 15 and 25 a lesson. I wanted to make it affordable for almost anyone so I chose to charge far less than those teachers. I just felt like a string program would be a nice option for the kids in my area since there are none offered in any of the schools that I know of. OH well. I still offer lessons but I have still yet to find a student here. We'll see though maybe this year will be different. I figure there has to be some kids or adults around me somewhere interested I just haven't found them yet.
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez! If only we were closer, ncmom. Sad

My oldest son (12) has expressed a desire to learn violin. I know virtually nothing about strings, as I am a flautist/oboist. Maybe I'll teach him to read music first and then find your Indiana counterpart.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4given--You should have no problem locating a good (inexpensive) teacher there. I lived in IL before we moved here and I taught lessons as a senior in High School to beginners. I always had students! If your area has a string program at the schools then I recommend checking your local high school or asking the orchestra director if he knows of a good teacher. Also, if you have a symphony orchestra you can check with them. My first teacher was a member of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. I hope if he decides to try the violin that you find a good teacher!

A little off the subject but my sister plays flute/piccolo. She and I used to play at church together with our mother on the piano all the time. I wish she was closer now so we could still play together but she lives in ST. Louis, MO now and I am pretty sure that 900 miles is a little bit to commute just to play together again. Laughing
737anne
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncmom - Have you tried going the virtual instruction route? I know there are places online that offer great music instruction. Usually the students have to be older than 13 because it's online video classes, but they are well worth looking into if your DD is wanting to get into music more.
snippets
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Music Reply with quote

Our state does not require music education. My DD does practice piano and violin on her own though. She wants to teach herself guitar next.
www.quaintscribbles.wordpress.com
www.3dlearners.blogspot.com

My fave homeschool high school site:
www.letshomeschoolhighschool.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Music / Art All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: