Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conferences and conventions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Conferences and conventions? Reply with quote

Hi there! I read on the subject of homeschooling almost daily, and every book suggests getting to a conference and a convention before starting. I'm just curious how many people take that advice? I have 2 dd's, ages 2 2 1/2 and 7 months. When should I go? Before my oldest hits kindergarten age?
Another thing I've read is about getting support. I know no hs'ers in my area. I do know of a family close by (their daughter actually got a book published is how I learned of them), but I just don't know how welcome my questions would be. Would you welcome a determined mother full of questions? How should I go about meeting people? Ask the librarian? Take out an ad in the paper (I don't think I'll take your advice if you say yes Smile )?
I hope there's not a limit as to how many questions a post can have...I think I'm over! Anyway, thanks for your help!
Jenlynn4673
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Perhaps I can answer on Sunday. I am going to a Conference this Friday and Saturday. I am very excited. We started HS Jan 2nd, 07 although due to issues we had at the PS, we pulled the kids out a week before Christmas Break.

I did immediately join a HS group, which has been a big help and the kids felt more at ease when the saw other families homeschooling.

There ave been many people we have met at the HS group that have been attending with Pre-schoolers. So, I don't think that would be an issue at all.

The kids are excited about going this weekend.

I say, ASK away, most people will show signs if they are not blunt enough t say back off.

Goof luck!
Officially Homeschooling Jan 2007!
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A conference gives you the opportunity to meet people from local homeschool groups, browse many different types of curriculum, and hopefully hear from speakers on various important topics related to getting started in homeschooling. You can homeschool without attending a conference, but attending a conference will probably make things a lot easier for you in the long run. Plus, it's lots of fun! Some of the most fun I had as a kid was manning our booth at various homeschool conventions while Mom and/or Dad spoke.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conferences are great! I didn't go to one before i started but about 9 mos after, I liked starting on my own because i had a chance to figure out how my boys learned and needed to be taught. (they were in public school for a few years) I enjoyed that time without too much overwhelmingness (i know that's not a word) from others. I did have a support group which i highly recomend!
Have fun and enjoy the time with your children!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Conferences and conventions? Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
every book suggests getting to a conference and a convention before starting. I'm just curious how many people take that advice? When should I go? Before my oldest hits kindergarten age?
Would you welcome a determined mother full of questions? How should I go about meeting people? Ask the librarian?

I kinda/sorta started home-pre-schooling my 4-y-o DS before I went to my first convention, but the convention was before he was 5 or doing Kindergarten curriculum, let alone before we notified the gov't. I would definitely suggest going to a convention as soon as you get a chance. They're great!

I would absolutely LOVE to talk to a determined mother full of questions! I do it all the time, and it's so much fun!

I first met other homeschoolers at my church and then by going to a local support group meeting (2 towns to the south).

Ramona

Last edited by Ramona on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Conferences and conventions? Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Hi there! I read on the subject of homeschooling almost daily, and every book suggests getting to a conference and a convention before starting. I'm just curious how many people take that advice? I have 2 dd's, ages 2 2 1/2 and 7 months. When should I go? Before my oldest hits kindergarten age?

I hsed for several years before hs conventions were even "invented," so in no way do I consider them to be high on my list of things to do before starting to hs.

If there is one convenient to where you live, it doesn't cost you a fortune, and you can go without dc, then by all means go. Otherwise, save your money and read all the books about hsing.

Quote:
Another thing I've read is about getting support. I know no hs'ers in my area. I do know of a family close by (their daughter actually got a book published is how I learned of them), but I just don't know how welcome my questions would be. Would you welcome a determined mother full of questions? How should I go about meeting people? Ask the librarian? Take out an ad in the paper (I don't think I'll take your advice if you say yes Smile )?

I would hope that the one hs family you know would welcome a determined mother full of questions--that's how *I* got started Smile

It is probably that your state has at least one homeschool association. My recommendation would be to find that group and see what information is available about groups in your community. It wouldn't hurt to talk to the librarian. I wouldn't put an ad in the paper unless you want to start a support group. It is not uncommon, and I would have no qualms in doing it myself. Really.

Quote:
I hope there's not a limit as to how many questions a post can have...I think I'm over! Anyway, thanks for your help!

No, no quota. Ask away Smile
Jenlynn4673
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to say, that I am glad that I started homeschooling prior to attending that conference a few weeks ago. I found it to be very exhausting and overwhelming.
It ended up being me and my oldest (Cool, my 7 year old was home sick with daddy.
We did enjoy ourselves for the most part. The exhibit hall was packed with vendors mostly representing different curriculum companies trying t push their product on you with their "Our product is better than theirs because..." lines. Many educational game company reps were there as well. Brain Gym being one. They were basically representing how their games would build your childs brain power and that their method is key in building your childs IQ.

Anyway, my point is that if I had gone before I started homeschooling, before I chose my base curriculum plan for my boys I thnk that I would have gone nutty making sure I made the right choices.
Officially Homeschooling Jan 2007!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: