Non-Creationist/Mainstream/Liberal Christian Curriculums?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

AnetteV
User

Non-Creationist/Mainstream/Liberal Christian Curriculums?

Postby AnetteV » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:13 pm

Do any exist? I'm going to start homeschooling my 5 and 4 yr. olds, and as a Christian, I would love a curriculum that can also incorporate/support our beliefs, but there seem to be none that I can find which balance the faith and reason aspects.

My family and the church we attend are ABSOLUTELY not Creationists, and we totally want our kids to learn prehistory and ancient history, as well as PROPER science- which right away puts options like Sonlight, Father's World, Story of The World, etc. OFF the table for us. I'm also personally opposed to some of the less academic aspects of traditional Christian curriculums, like no through sex-ed, and the study of other religions as "myths" rather than simply another way people can come to know and honor God. It rubs me the wrong way and I would be very uncomfortable teaching it in my home.

I've considered trying Charlotte Mason/Ambleside Online which has Bible Study and prayer independent of schoolwork- but to be completely honest, reading classic literature and doing nature study isn't a priority for my husband or I, and doing the curriculum without those parts seems too difficult and lacking in their original intentions.

SO- my question is, does anyone know of a Christian or Faith-based curriculum I would be able to buy or download that isn't as extreme as the ones listed above? Because even as someone who goes to church every sunday and does certainly does believe there is a God, I thought they were bordering on very disturbing!

midlomommy2boys
User

Postby midlomommy2boys » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Did you consider doing a secular curriculum with additional bible study

Elisabeth
User

Postby Elisabeth » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Honestly, you are going to have a hard time. We are the same and I've found Story of the World works well. There is also History Odyssey which is secular. I'm going to use level 2 with my 13 year old. You have to be really careful because the homeschool market is dominated by a fundamentalist type of Christianity which I personally feel can be dangerous for our kids, especially in the science curricula. Right now I use Singapore Math, Story of the World with the activity guide, First Language Lessons, Writing With Ease, Handwriting Without Tears, Explode the Code, and we are reading through Sonlight's list of read alouds. We have Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading but ds7 does not like it. For science I'm leaning towards Real Science Odyssey. It's completely secular.

Elisabeth
User

Postby Elisabeth » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Oh, I would not do Ambleside. They lean to a very extreme providential history. Sadly, a lot of Christians are having to choose secular curricula and add in Bible. Story of the World has been a perfect fit so far!

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”