How did all of you decide to set up your homeschool areas?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

goodgirlquin
User

How did all of you decide to set up your homeschool areas?

Postby goodgirlquin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:31 pm

We have already decided to homeschool next year.I am looking for ways to set aside a space for it.I have one child a seven year old.Not alot of extra space.
Also while your here what curriculum do you use or like?

Thanks so much.
Christina

Theodore

You don't really need a special place to homeschool...

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:48 pm

You don't really need a special place to homeschool, unless most of your house is too noisy to concentrate in :) Probably the best thing to do is just keep all the materials for each child (textbooks, paper, pencils, assignments, homework, etc.) in a box, and stow the box near to where your child is most comfortable learning. It's very convenient if you can just reach over and pick up a book whenever you find yourself at loose ends, and it keeps things from getting lost.

If your child needs a hard surface for writing on, try getting a lap desk - something with a hard top and a soft bottom that can be placed on the lap. Sitting at the kitchen table often isn't convenient or comfortable.

goodgirlquin
User

Thanks so much.........

Postby goodgirlquin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:58 pm

I had not thought of a lap desk.....Good idea.

What about crafts and art supplies ect....Anyone???

momo3boys
User

HS area

Postby momo3boys » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:03 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

goodgirlquin
User

You both are very right.........

Postby goodgirlquin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:44 am

now I feel like i don't really need a certain place.I am home schooling for the freedom.I should give him the freedom to do his work wherever he wants also.Thanks so much.

Christina

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:20 pm

goodgirlquin
User

thanks

Postby goodgirlquin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:51 pm

i am really enjoying the input from everyone.thanks so much.

Princess_Fyara
User

Postby Princess_Fyara » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:14 pm

I hated my little red desk! Although it was nice to have a place to keep my books, I am an adventurer, and I have always had trouble staying still. (I probably would have been diagnosed with something common if I had been taken to a doctor :lol: ) I think it held me back more then anything. I loved to do my school work on the floor or in the tree fort, but it wasn't allowed most of the time. :( Some kids probably do a lot better with a desk then others, so keep this in mind. If the floor or table are not working, try something else. 8)

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:33 pm

Today was such a beautiful day at my house, the boys did their homework in the back of the truck with the tailgate down! they had a blast and took frequent fun breaks on there bikes. Why let the weather go by when you can enjoy it and do your work at the same time :lol:
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

kkh534
User

Postby kkh534 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:54 pm

I am currently homeschooling three girls. Each has a deisgnated milk crate in their favorite color for books and materials, and a binder that contains their lesson plans. We do most of our homeschooling around the kitchen table, so that I can help each when it is needed. I also made sure that each has an area or desk space they can go to if they need to concentrate more on certain items. I feel this provides a more relaxed setting than the blackboard, school desk routine

Return to “Getting Started”