Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How To Form A Local Support Group
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juloyes
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if I can resurrect this thread??

I'm wanting to start a homeschool group that meets in a local church but isn't religious necessarily. We'll have a mix of Christians and LDS folks who I truly believe can peacefully coexist and respect one another.

On the one hand, I'm passionately Christian and will share my faith anywhere with anyone and try to be tactful and respectful and not pushy about it, so in some ways I feel like even if my group isn't Christian, by my lifestyle and my love for other people, my faith will be made evident. But then I almost feel like I'm not being faithful by not making Jesus central to the group...I want to include my LDS friends for sure and not make them feel awkward about being there, but I also don't want to compromise on the Truth.

Is this making ANY sense??? We're in a very small, remote Western town so stuff like this matters....

THOUGHTS??
4given
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes perfect sense... and if you were in my area I'd be very interested in joining. I have searched high and low for an inclusive group, though I am Christian. IMO, you would not be betraying Jesus by forming a homeschooling group that centers around homeschooling.
SUZI9876
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I know this is a very old thread, but I am interested in starting a homeschool group...just so I can have one to join. I live in a VERY small town (we don't have a single stoplight!) in a rural area. I do know of three other families near here that homeschools, however. I'm just not the leader type, though. I'm painfully shy.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then you should probably ask the other three families if they'd be interesting in forming a group, and if any of them would like to be the figurehead while you organize things behind the scenes. Then you need a web site, probably a Yahoo Group for starters and then maybe something more substantial down the road when you have a few dozen members. You need to get your group listed on the regional listings for the state group, then try getting on the national listings (we have one) when you have 10+ members. See if you can get any local stores, like teacher's supply stores, to give your members a discount, and organize outings every now and then for your kids.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or do it the super-simple way: Meet together for a park day and see what happens from there. It's how most of the big, established groups in California started back in the early 80s. Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to find the people first, though, unless you already know enough homeschoolers to organize events.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: