Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do high schools still teach Home Economics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Do high schools still teach Home Economics? Reply with quote

Are home economics classes still offered in high schools? Also, I am wondering how many boys take this class, and has anyone ever had a male home economics teacher?
pinkers
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's still offered to some degree in most high schools. I've never had a male teacher, but there are boys that take the class. My husband took it as a teenager...but he admits to wanting to be around all of the girls. Wink
TheresaHPIR
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I graduated in 2001 and we didn't have home ec in my high school.

However, we did have home ec in middle school as a nine week course each year. One year was sewing, another was cooking, and I really cannot remember the third. The teacher was female, but EVERYONE was required to take all three classes, so there were always plenty of boys in there.

Our high school DID offer a semester cooking class...but that's all it was. Again, the instructor was female...she had been teaching for 50 years at the school in that, or a similar position, lol.

While not a required class, it was generally seen as an Easy A class with little to no work, so there were plenty of guys in there from what I can remember. I hated cooking, so I never took the class, but I had several friends, both male and female, who took it and would bring the rest of us cookies, pizzas, brownies, and cakes nearly every day for lunch.
Blessings4all
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called FACS now. Family and Consumer Science. They usually do a little bit of everything like cooking, sewing, balancing a checkbook, etc. Schools that I have subbed in require it for at least one year, usually 7th or 8th grade.

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: