Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice for withdrawing from school in Missouri

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sivasvati
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: advice for withdrawing from school in Missouri Reply with quote

My daughters are enrolled in school for this year but we have decided to homeschool them. The school year starts very soon and i'm not sure how to withdraw them from school. I've looked up the laws which say that i may notify the school district but I've also read that it is not good to notify them that we are homeschooling. I feel that we should notify the school to prevent any truancy allegations. Do I write a letter stating that we are withdrawing them from the school district and request their school records? Is there anything else that we need to say? Any advice would be very helpful. Also if we write a letter is it to the principal and/or the superintendent. They were in two different buildings so it would be two principals. Thanks.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: advice for withdrawing from school in Missouri Reply with quote

Homeschool laws rarely address the process of withdrawing children from previously attended schools. Smile

It would seem to me to be better to send your letter to their school, not to the superintendent; you're withdrawing them from the school, not from the district.. And yes, you should request their records. You may or may not get them, even though they belong to you, but you should at least ask for them. Also, many people recommend that you send your letter registered, with a return-receipt request. That way you have proof that *someone* in the office received the letter.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
sivasvati
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the school today to inform them I was withdrawing my children and they said I had to fill out a form. I asked if I could mail them a letter and they repeated that I had to come in and fill out a form. Any advice?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sivasvati wrote:
I called the school today to inform them I was withdrawing my children and they said I had to fill out a form. I asked if I could mail them a letter and they repeated that I had to come in and fill out a form. Any advice?

See, if I'd known you were going to call, I'd have told you not to. It is why it is recommended that you send a letter, with signed receipt required, because school officials often ask people to sign unnecessary forms.

If I were in your place, I'd send a registered letter. I'm not advising you to do that; I'm just saying what I'd do, 'cuz I'm like that. ::cheeky grin::

You have a legal to right to teach your children at home. If you decide to go to the school office anyway, read the form carefully. Do NOT sign it if it implies in any way that you are getting the school's permission to homeschool, or that you're agreeing to any kind of oversight (other than specificaly what is required by law; you could print it out and hand it to them).
sivasvati
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after i called them i thought about it for a long time and decided not to go in. i don't know what kind of form they wanted me to fill out but i suspect it was a declaration of enrollment form. instead, i wrote a letter and sent it certified today. now i am waiting to see if anything happens and i will be checking the mail for the receipts.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie dokie. Let us know what happens. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: