Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning to work together

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkapfe
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Learning to work together Reply with quote

We have a somewhat unique situation. (Perhaps its not as unique as I think, though). We have 3 girls in 7th grade, 5th grade, and 3rd grade. My husband works at home full time (in his office with the door shut) and I work outside the home in the afternoons for 5 days a week. This past year we used Bob Jones online. It worked great in the beginning. Each girl had their own desk and computer, etc. However, that is just not our style. We are more of a sit together in the living room and everyone work on their subjects kind of family. Needless-to-say, doing school the way we did was a bit stressful. Everyone seemed to need me all the time...at the same time! It really presented a challenge when I had to leave for work every day and the girls stayed home with my husband who really has no time to homeschool since he really needs to stay focused on his job. My oldest (and my husband) is very ADD. We went through and adjusted her meds this spring hoping that it would help her with her schoolwork. It did absolutely nothing. She was so far behind that she didn't finish her assignments until last week and she only finished because I started bringing her to work with me so that I could "remind" her every time she got "lost".

My dh isn't very happy. He has threatened sending my oldest to junior high in the fall because he says that she needs a classroom structure in order to not get behind. He feels that she needs a teacher standing in front of her desk. He also says that unless she learns how to work on projects with other peers, that she will not be able to be successful in the work force as an adult. I've begged him to not send her and he tells me to "not screw her up".

So, after all that, my question is this...what do you do to help your kids learn to work with other kids while you homeschool?
Blessings4all
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ADD teen (although I never had her formally tested). Friends of mine have cured their children by eliminating certain foods from their diets. Some believe that ADD is tied to allergies to wheat, dairy, and artificial food coloring (or artificial anything). We dropped those from my teen's diet and she improved. We tried adding some back in and discovered that she needs to stay away from dairy. It makes her "twitchy" as she describes it. Wheat seems to be OK. We avoid the artificial stuff.

If you want your girls to work together, why not try a fun writing project? Your whole family could get involved. Here is an article with some suggestions. 20 Writing Projects for Your Homeschool Family to Do Together

Hope this helps.

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.
satiglenn
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your husband really think that there will be a teacher standing in front of her desk at public school?? That happens in HOMESCHOOL! Perhaps you could try reorganizing the families learning, since you have found that your latest scenario didn't work well for you.

I don't know much about other curriculums (my oldest is just in kindergarten), but the way My Father's World is set up, after 2nd grade there is a family circle-type deal, where you would only have one lesson to "teach" each day, and each of your girls would do grade-appropriate work based on the lesson. I. E.- your 3rd grader would have more basic work, where your 7th grader's work would be a little more in depth. This might make it easier to all pile up in the living room for school. They could all offer each other support and help as well, since they would all be familiar with the material. Then they would probably not need you as much for basic questions and the like.

I have a 12 year old son with ADHD, and I fully believe that public school was where I went wrong for him. He did not have the real guidance and supervision he needed; instead he was just tossed in with the rest, and then stayed in trouble for "acting up." He is always bored, disorganized, and hates school. In fact, he has become despondent and shows a total apathy for his studies now, and he has always been an A+ student in his sleep. He lives with his dad now, tho, so not much I can do now Sad Not homeschooling him is a regret I will live with for the rest of my life.

You and you husband may need to sit down one evening without the kids and come up with a purpose statement for your family and see where and how education fits into it. I hope you get it figured out soon. PM me if you wanna know more of my experience. I'm happy to share.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: