Missouri Law ? Daughter was in Headstart

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

a_marines_wife03
User

Missouri Law ? Daughter was in Headstart

Postby a_marines_wife03 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:37 pm

My daughter was in Head Start this year. We have decided to home school. What do I have to do by law. Do I have to notify anyone that I am home schooling her. I was told that if you had a child that was in the public school system you had to notify the school and district you are in that you are home schooling every year by the first of September. I don't Know what I need to do by law. Can anyone help me and direct me to the information I need. thanks Julie

elliemaejune
User

Re: Missouri Law ? Daughter was in Headstart

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Boy, someone really garbled the law. :shock:

Here is HSLDA's analysis of MO law.

There is no requirement to notify anyone, ever.

Compulsory school age is 7yo. However, if a child were enrolled in public school for kindergarten or first grade (so he'd be 6 or 7) then any homeschool requirements would kick in then instead of 7yo.

Nevertheless, there's no notification requirement.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

a_marines_wife03
User

Postby a_marines_wife03 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Thank you for the information and clarifying. I am glad I was told wrong I did not want to have to notify anyone. But i had a couple moms tell me that because she was enrolled in head start last year I would have to give notice that i was going to be home schooling. Do I need to be keeping a portfolio and keeping track of her hours already because she was enrolled in head start ??? thanks a bunch
God Bless, Julie
Missouri Home Schooling Mommy of 2

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:29 pm

a_marines_wife03 wrote:Thank you for the information and clarifying. I am glad I was told wrong I did not want to have to notify anyone. But i had a couple moms tell me that because she was enrolled in head start last year I would have to give notice that i was going to be home schooling. Do I need to be keeping a portfolio and keeping track of her hours already because she was enrolled in head start ??? thanks a bunch

You don't have to give notice to anyone that you're going to homeschool.

I don't know the ages for Head Start. Was that preschool-age? If so, then no, you wouldn't have to do anything. It's only if the dc were enrolled in kindergarten or first grade.

Caretaker of 2 budgies

a_marines_wife03
User

Postby a_marines_wife03 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:09 am

yes head start is 3 years to 4 or 5 years old she was 4. She will be 5 aug 20 so I know she is below the compulsory age but I want to start trying out some methods for record keeping to find something that will work well us. I also think i will do better if I just start with it right off instead of waiting tell she is seven to start record keeping. Head start really keeps records just like home schooling they gave me a portfolio with her work from the year beginning middle and end and then they did some improvement questions and included those to show what they improved on through the year. and every week we had to fill out in kind papers which was activities that taught certain skills and we had to do them with our child and keep track of the time and write something about the activity. The hole year I never realized that it was just Home school record keeping that they were doing.
God Bless, Julie

Missouri Home Schooling Mommy of 2

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:16 am

a_marines_wife03 wrote:yes head start is 3 years to 4 or 5 years old she was 4. She will be 5 aug 20 so I know she is below the compulsory age but I want to start trying out some methods for record keeping to find something that will work well us. I also think i will do better if I just start with it right off instead of waiting tell she is seven to start record keeping. Head start really keeps records just like home schooling they gave me a portfolio with her work from the year beginning middle and end and then they did some improvement questions and included those to show what they improved on through the year. and every week we had to fill out in kind papers which was activities that taught certain skills and we had to do them with our child and keep track of the time and write something about the activity. The hole year I never realized that it was just Home school record keeping that they were doing.

Then if you want to keep records, you may; but you are not *required* to do so. That's an important distinction. :-)

Also, don't make the record-keeping more draconian than it needs to be. IOW, don't over-comply, especially since it isn't mandatory that you submit those records to anyone. :-)

Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Homeschool Law”