Employer wants proof

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Nickt892003
User

Employer wants proof

Postby Nickt892003 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:46 pm

I was pulled out of school in the beginning of tenth grade. I had cut my finger an was going to miss alot of school so my parents homeschooled me. I'm going to be starting a new job an the employer wants proof, only my parents were told they didn't need to gave proof in the state of Wisconsin. They were also told its illegal for anyone to question it. Not sure which is true. What should I do? They had a paper from social services stating I was going to be honeschooled for my high-school years but they can't find it.

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:06 am

"Work permits are issued at various locations throughout the state. You may apply for a work permit at your school office or call (608) 266-6860 for information on where in your area you may apply for a work permit."

This quote is from the following link:

http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/er/labor_stand ... ermits.htm

If you are under 18, you need a work permit. You should call the phone number listed above and ask them what you need to do, since you are homeschooled. They may tell you to apply at the local public school that you would be attending if you were not homeschooled.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Employer wants proof

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Nickt892003 wrote:I was pulled out of school in the beginning of tenth grade. I had cut my finger an was going to miss alot of school so my parents homeschooled me. I'm going to be starting a new job an the employer wants proof, only my parents were told they didn't need to gave proof in the state of Wisconsin. They were also told its illegal for anyone to question it. Not sure which is true. What should I do? They had a paper from social services stating I was going to be honeschooled for my high-school years but they can't find it.

What is the employer asking for proof of? That you're homeschooled?

Your parents are supposed to report to the Department of Public Instruction at the beginning of the year, using a specific form. Do you know if they did that?

If they did, and that's what the employer is asking about (IOW, verifying that you are being educated at home and not truant), then that's a reasonable request.

Your parents need to take care of the paperwork. That means they have to report every year until you are 18. A letter from Social Services does not satisfy the law.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

AngelaBreckenridge
User

Postby AngelaBreckenridge » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:37 pm

You need to follow the law, need to get Homework-desk.com permits.
Last edited by AngelaBreckenridge on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:26 pm

AngelaBreckenridge wrote:You need to follow the law, need to get job permits.

You do realize that the post you're replying to is two years old? The person who asked the question has probably now graduated from high school.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Homeschool Law”