SS and homeschooling in Illinois

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

naaz
User
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:55 pm

SS and homeschooling in Illinois

Postby naaz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Hello, we're homeschooling in Illinois and my daughter received benefits from her biological father. We're having no real trouble with social security other than that they asked for a 'Certificate of Intent' for our educational program. The language of this confuses me. Does anyone know what they mean exactly?

User avatar
elliemaejune
User
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: The Fireswamp

Re: SS and homeschooling in Illinois

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:15 pm

naaz wrote:Hello, we're homeschooling in Illinois and my daughter received benefits from her biological father. We're having no real trouble with social security other than that they asked for a 'Certificate of Intent' for our educational program. The language of this confuses me. Does anyone know what they mean exactly?

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Certificate of Intent" for homeschoolers in Illinois. Illinois is a private school state; that is, a court case some years ago decided that homeschoolers are equivalent to private schools. Parents just decide to homeschool; they don't need to notify anyone.

Are you a member of HSLDA? I know they have dealt with Social Securty issues before. If you're not, it might be worth it for you to join.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

naaz
User
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: SS and homeschooling in Illinois

Postby naaz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:45 pm

elliemaejune wrote:As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Certificate of Intent" for homeschoolers in Illinois. Illinois is a private school state; that is, a court case some years ago decided that homeschoolers are equivalent to private schools. Parents just decide to homeschool; they don't need to notify anyone.

Are you a member of HSLDA? I know they have dealt with Social Securty issues before. If you're not, it might be worth it for you to join.


I'm not, and at the moment I don't see how it would be possible for us to join. Really, it's just the language that's exceedingly confusing. It also mentions documentation of state mandated tests and, well, there are no statutes mandating standardized testings in Illinois and I intend to tell them that.

Is there such a thing as a Certificate of Intent in other states that maybe can point out isn't required? It clearly seems like a form letter, maybe that's the issue?

User avatar
elliemaejune
User
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: The Fireswamp

Re: SS and homeschooling in Illinois

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:04 pm

naaz wrote:
elliemaejune wrote:As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Certificate of Intent" for homeschoolers in Illinois. Illinois is a private school state; that is, a court case some years ago decided that homeschoolers are equivalent to private schools. Parents just decide to homeschool; they don't need to notify anyone.

Are you a member of HSLDA? I know they have dealt with Social Securty issues before. If you're not, it might be worth it for you to join.


I'm not, and at the moment I don't see how it would be possible for us to join. Really, it's just the language that's exceedingly confusing. It also mentions documentation of state mandated tests and, well, there are no statutes mandating standardized testings in Illinois and I intend to tell them that.

Is there such a thing as a Certificate of Intent in other states that maybe can point out isn't required? It clearly seems like a form letter, maybe that's the issue?

I've never heard anything referred to as "Certificate of Intent." Notice of Intent, yes; Certificate of Intent, no.

I guess you'll just have to talk to someone in person and show her the Illinois homeschool summary, and how neither a Certificate of Intent nor standardized testing is required in Illinois and see waht happens.

HSLDA does have the option to make payments, if it looks as if SS isn't going to budge.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies

naaz
User
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: SS and homeschooling in Illinois

Postby naaz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:13 pm

elliemaejune wrote:I've never heard anything referred to as "Certificate of Intent." Notice of Intent, yes; Certificate of Intent, no.

I guess you'll just have to talk to someone in person and show her the Illinois homeschool summary, and how neither a Certificate of Intent nor standardized testing is required in Illinois and see waht happens.

HSLDA does have the option to make payments, if it looks as if SS isn't going to budge.


I think I realize what was done wrong. In filing we chose home school as the school she was attending. Apparently, in other states a yearly certificate of Intent is required to be submitted at the beginning of the year.

I think this might be a case of choosing home school where I should've chosen private, and of a confusing, badly worded, form letter. Thank you for your help and my husband and I are talking about the HSLDA!

User avatar
elliemaejune
User
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: The Fireswamp

Re: SS and homeschooling in Illinois

Postby elliemaejune » Tue May 08, 2012 8:09 am

naaz wrote:
elliemaejune wrote:I've never heard anything referred to as "Certificate of Intent." Notice of Intent, yes; Certificate of Intent, no.

I guess you'll just have to talk to someone in person and show her the Illinois homeschool summary, and how neither a Certificate of Intent nor standardized testing is required in Illinois and see waht happens.

HSLDA does have the option to make payments, if it looks as if SS isn't going to budge.


I think I realize what was done wrong. In filing we chose home school as the school she was attending. Apparently, in other states a yearly certificate of Intent is required to be submitted at the beginning of the year.

I think this might be a case of choosing home school where I should've chosen private, and of a confusing, badly worded, form letter. Thank you for your help and my husband and I are talking about the HSLDA!


Some states do required parents to submit a notice of intent annually, but as I said, most don't, and I haven't heard of any that call it a "certificate" of intent. Who can figure out government stuff?? :lol:

It is true, though, that in Illinois you are a private school, not a homeschool. IL has a court case which decided that homeschoolers are the equivalent of private schools, rather than a law that allows parents to homeschool, if you see the difference.

Good luck, :D
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies


Return to “Homeschool Law”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests