Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I have to test my daughter yearly? (CA)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joy1213
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Do I have to test my daughter yearly? (CA) Reply with quote

I live in the State of California, and I want to homeschool my daughter. She is in 7th grade. Do I have to send her to get tested yearly to see what level she is academically? And when it comes to english, history and science and all that , can I choose my own format of what I want her to learn for example when it comes to history, or does she have to learn what is taught in public schools?
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From
http://www.monterey.army.mil/cyss/homeschool.html

"Does my child have to take the STAR tests?

STAR testing is administered by all California public schools, including home charter schools, however, parents have the right to excuse their children from some or all of the STAR tests by providing written notice to school officials. Private schools do not have to administer the test, including home private schools (Cal. Educ Code 60615)."

From
http://www.hsc.org/legalprivateschooloption.php

"Generally, instruction must be in English and "in the several branches of study required to be taught in the public schools" (ยง48222), but how or what you teach within those branches is up to you."
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have to test my daughter yearly?( CA) Reply with quote

Joy1213 wrote:
I live in the State of California, and I want to homeschool my daughter. She is in 7th grade. Do I have to send her to get tested yearly to see what level she is academically? And when it comes to english, history and science and all that , can I choose my own format of what I want her to learn for example when it comes to history, or does she have to learn what is taught in public schools?

If you file a private school affidavit, then no, you are not required to test, because you are considered a private school and private school students are not required to be tested.

If your enroll your dd in a charter school, then yes, because she would be a public school student, even though her "classroom" is in your home, and all pubic school children must be tested.

As a private school, you may teach anything you like, in any order that you like, using any method that you like.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: