Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulled out this week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5_2luv
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Pulled out this week Reply with quote

I did it. I just pulled my son out of ps this week. I was going to wait until after Spring break and after talking with the teacher but him complaining about going every day & getting notes sent home from the teacher every day finally caused me to just jump in. I'm not sure if I should have but I did.

I have 5 kids. 2 of them are still in ps and in 6th & 7th grades. I have wanted to homeschool them as well but they are happy where they are at. Besides I think I should probably do this in baby steps and just see how it goes with the one who really needs it for now. My 6 yr old who I pulled out is in K. He is a good kid very smart,, a little inattentive but that's very normal for his age. He is very smart & has a hardi time in ps b/c he is bored . At first I wasn't sure if I should do it or not. Then I decided if neither of us like it then it's not set in stone or anything. I'm not really liking the influence of other kids I have seen on him lately and think this will give him more mommy time which I think he could use.

Yesterday was his first real day at home. We didn't do much besides a few activities I would normally have done with him and my toddler. I could tell he was rather bored. He still has friends his age in the neighborhood to play with and he did when they got out of school. He told me he wanted to go back to "real" school. I asked him why and he said because of his friends and recess. It's not really the class time that he misses just his friends. I told him he can play with his friends when they get out of school. My older two boys going to public school and him the only one in the neighborhood who is homeschooling I think has the potential to make him feel left out as well.

Today I decided to give him a little more to do so he could be more occupied & not complain about being bored. I haven't spent money on a curriculum as I don't have a lot of money and besides it's late in the school yr. I have been getting free curruiculum online & putting some things together from that for now. We did some handwriting, spelling, math, and reading, & science but only a little of each. We also did a sort of scavenger hunt outside for a bit. He seemed to like it alot better than yesterday but I have a long ways to go before I am organized with this and I am going to have to come up with lots more activities. I have to admit, I'm feeling intimidated.

I had to go to the school for something for my 6th grader & while I was there today I saw the principal & the secretary who asked me about my 6 yr old. I told them I was homeschooling. They were nice about it mostly but said that I should talk to his teacher before making the decision final to see if she can make any adjustments to better suit my son. To be honest I'm not sure what she can do because she has 28 students and the school couldn't afford an aide for her so she is on her own. The principal said if after talking with her I still wanted to homeschool then I would need to talk with him. I know that I don't need to but I do like the school and the teachers & principal so I will probably do it although I am pretty sure I will still homeschool at least for the rest of this school yr and hopefully if it works for us then next yr as well. My 7th grader has expressed slight intersest in homeschooling so we will see. I have high hopes to even start with the 1 & 2 yr old eventually.
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to join a homeschool support group or a co-op. A group might have social activities, etc. A co-op will be classes that meet weekly. (you might want to sign up for the fall session) If you are involved with some type of group, you son will be able to make friends with other homeschoolers. He will look forward to seeing them, etc. and can possibly make arrangements to get together for play dates at other times.

He could still keep in touch with his old friends too, but making new friends would be an encouragement I think.

Here are two links where you can find a group in your area:

http://www.home-school.com/groups/

http://localhs.com/
5_2luv
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hscoach wrote:
My advice would be to join a homeschool support group or a co-op. A group might have social activities, etc. A co-op will be classes that meet weekly. (you might want to sign up for the fall session) If you are involved with some type of group, you son will be able to make friends with other homeschoolers. He will look forward to seeing them, etc. and can possibly make arrangements to get together for play dates at other times.

He could still keep in touch with his old friends too, but making new friends would be an encouragement I think.

Here are two links where you can find a group in your area:

http://www.home-school.com/groups/

http://localhs.com/

That is a great suggestion. Thank you. I am most definately going to look into that. Heck if I can make this a success for my sons benefit I will be so happy. My other kids might even be more likely to want to start homeschooling if they see him making other friends and having fun.
5_2luv
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with his teacher and she was a lot less supportive than I thought she would be (I didn't expect much but really thought she would have understood where I was coming from). She said she thought it was a mistake me pulling him out with only one quarter left and that with his impulse problems keeping him at home with "no structure" would be a mistake. She said his behavior was normal for his age and not a big deal. I found that suprising seeing that she was sending notes home about his behavior daily and giving him conduct referrals and lunch detention regularly. I have also had other kids from the school tell me that she yells at him all the time. She is suprised that I would want to homeschool him but admitted that she knew nothing about homeschooling.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5_2luv wrote:
I just spoke with his teacher and she was a lot less supportive than I thought she would be (I didn't expect much but really thought she would have understood where I was coming from). She said she thought it was a mistake me pulling him out with only one quarter left and that with his impulse problems keeping him at home with "no structure" would be a mistake. She said his behavior was normal for his age and not a big deal. I found that suprising seeing that she was sending notes home about his behavior daily and giving him conduct referrals and lunch detention regularly. I have also had other kids from the school tell me that she yells at him all the time. She is suprised that I would want to homeschool him but admitted that she knew nothing about homeschooling.

Well, I'm not surprised. Most professional teachers are opposed to homeschooling; most of them know nothing about homeschooling, which isn't surprising, of course, but it does emphsize the fact that they're not going to be able to give you any objective, actually helpful advice.

But at least that's over, eh? Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
5_2luv
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a few weeks since I pulled him out & things are going great. I'm getting a little more organized with making a curriculum for him & while it's been a bit time consuming getting started (for me) I am really enjoying it & I can see a big improvement in my son's happiness. He really enjoys having me to himself for a while each day.

The school gave me more trouble than I anticipated. The principal called me & said I never gave him a definitive answer about what I was doing & that I would have to follow a procedure to withdraw my son officially. I had already planned on bringing them an official letter that week. He asked that I come in & talk with him & my son's teacher. I know I didn't have to but I did. I came armed with my official withdraw letter. They both wanted to know what my reason's were & I explained again to them & told them that there were other factors as well. The principal tried telling me that there were laws about pulling out mid year & if I didn't go to the Regional Office of Education & fill out paper work & tell them I was pulling him out then he would be truant & not able to move on to another grade. I really almost laughed out loud at him because he has no idea at all about homeschooling laws in Illinois. I informed him about the laws & he told me not to believe everything I read. Excuse me? I shouldn't even believe the law? In Illinois schooling is not even required until age 7 and my child is only 6. Also, there are no forms that I have to fill out or anyone I must notify. He either is completely ignorant or trying to intimidate me. They also tried to tell me that just like you wouldn't try to fix a broken arm at home I shouldn't be trying to homeschool my child because I am not a professional. Such BS. I just told them that I was better qualified because I know my child better than they do & I have his well being at heart. I told them I was informed of the laws & suggested he do the same. I told them I would not be going to the ROE because there was no reason to & not required by law. They then tried to tell me that the homeschooling kids he's had enroll in school were desocialized and isolated. I just smiled at them & told them I knew what I was doing. My son is socialized just fine thank you.
His teacher tried telling me again that his behavior was normal & that he would never be able to learn how to control himself if I had him at home. She absolutely has no clue. She attributed his behavior to immaturity (maybe but I wonder if she even knows that kids have different learning styles?) My son, I have learned is a kinestetic learner & he needs to move a lot throughout the day & doesn't do well sitting for long periods. Also, I have to wonder why if his behavior was normal to her then why was she punishing my son for being normal? She would give him lunch detention or miss recess on a regular basis for his "inability to pay attention" or "not sitting still". She would send home notes all the time & for awhile I almost thought I had a mis-behaved child. Now I know what the truths are.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent. I was just very aggravated and wanted to get that off of my chest. Smile
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking in and letting us know how it went. Very Happy

You should know that it can take up to 18 months for a child to recover his real self after being in school for even a short time. Don't worry too much about being all organized as far as teaching and whatnot. It will be fine. Very Happy

I think you handled things well. Just don't ever, ever go back for another meeting. Talking with those people is like wrestling with a pig: the pig likes it and you get dirty. You will never change their minds--it is not in their best interest for people to teach their own children at home, you know--so just stay out of the pig pen. Laughing
stephybee
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been searching for information on homeschooling for months now and when i ran into this forum and your post, i wanted to cry. I am going through the exact same thing with my 6 yr old son. Tomorrow he goes back to school and has been begging not to go back. He does not like it at all. He likes playing with his friends but thats about it. I met with his teacher and asst. principal and they both suggested to get him tested for a gifted class. With that said, they would not give him the test. Instead they said to wait it out til he gets to first grade. I want to cry with him in the mornings when we leave for school. I want him to finish kinder then he is out of public school but is it worth it? No. :/ I am so glad you shared your story. I feel better knowing that im not "crazy and making something out of nothing". I cant make my mind up between waiting or pulling him out of school now. Help! :/
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your son is so miserable, my advice would be to pull him out now. Just check your state laws (link below) to see what you need to do. It is no big deal to pull him out in April. He does not need to finish the year, just for the sake of finishing it.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/

He can finish kindergarten at home with you. Think of all the fun the two of you can have together. He will be so happy. If he is gifted, homeschooling is an excellent choice because you can do so, so much more with him than a public school will ever be able to do. I will list some sites below for gifted homeschooling. Follow your heart and pull him out now. You will not regret it. Best wishes.

http://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/

http://hoagiesgifted.org/

http://www.brightkidsathome.com/

http://giftedhomeschoolers.org/
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephybee wrote:
I have been searching for information on homeschooling for months now and when i ran into this forum and your post, i wanted to cry. I am going through the exact same thing with my 6 yr old son. Tomorrow he goes back to school and has been begging not to go back. He does not like it at all. He likes playing with his friends but thats about it. I met with his teacher and asst. principal and they both suggested to get him tested for a gifted class. With that said, they would not give him the test. Instead they said to wait it out til he gets to first grade. I want to cry with him in the mornings when we leave for school. I want him to finish kinder then he is out of public school but is it worth it? No. :/ I am so glad you shared your story. I feel better knowing that im not "crazy and making something out of nothing". I cant make my mind up between waiting or pulling him out of school now. Help! :/

Why do you want him to finish? It's just kindergarten. He's miserable. Take him out now. Smile

And I wouldn't recommend talking to either the teacher or the principal about it. Just tell them your ds is out. Be vague about what you'll be doing next year. Spend the summer researching homeschooling.

Very Happy
Iluvchocolate
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo, 5_2luv!! That was excellent! I'm so glad you were able to pull him out and stand up for your personal choice to home school when you spoke to the principal and teacher. I know it can be kind of intimidating.

I did the same thing and was in the same situation at Stephybee. My son was not quite through with Kindergarten and he was NOT happy, which of course made me NOT happy. I was also unsure if I should pull him out with so little time left in the school year but I did and I'm SOOO happy that I made that choice. He's in 3rd grade now, we use the Seascapes Private School curriculum and it's really wonderful and it's so much easier to home school than I ever thought it would be!

Stephybee, don't hesitate. Just go with your gut feeling and take him out now. If you need help finding curriculum or just questions about home schooling you can always come here for answers! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: