Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a good Play-Doh recipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mud Hut Mama
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Looking for a good Play-Doh recipe Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good Play-Doh recipe that is almost like the real thing? I've tried a few and they tend to be ok for the first use but still stickier and messier than the store bought stuff.

After the first use they just get stickier and stickier and the clean up gets worse and worse. I've tried storing them in the fridge and that helps a little bit but doesn't solve the problem. I'm looking for something that I don't have to add flour to every time we want to play.

I'm down to my last two tubs of store bought play-doh and can't replace it here so would really appreciate any recipes or storage tips that have worked for you.

Many thanks for your help!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a gluten-free recipe that a friend posted on another forum. She says it's good for a year:

Gluten-Free Play-doh

1/2 cup of rice flour**
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon oil

Mix all. Cook and stir on low for 3 minutes or until it forms a ball. Cool. Store in a zip baggie.

** I grind my own rice into flour with my mill, but you can also buy rice flour from a hfs.

You can add color, but I don't remember when you do that. A google search for GP PD would bring it up. My dd loves this. It has a very nice feel to it too. Last quite a while, about a year.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Mud Hut Mama
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much - will have to see if I can find rice flour!
Tashathomson
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really the best idea especially my kid always wants dough to play with and every time I have to buy it from shop. The process is not messy at all. Thanks for sharing!
littlemillennium
User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Cheers and Happy Play Doughing! Reply with quote

2 cups of plain flour
4 tablespoons of 'cream of tartar'
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
1 cup of salt
2 cups of boiling water
food colouring
Just pop it all in a mixing bowl and mix! Add peppermint oil for a great smell and even longer lasting playdough.
Mud Hut Mama
User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the help. littlemillennium - I love the idea of adding peppermint oil! I couldn't find the rice flour for the gluten free recipe but I think I finally got it right by following the directions on this blog:
http://musingsfromasahm.com/2012/02/easy-homemade-playdough-recipe/

Very similar to your recipe littlemillennium- maybe I just needed the pictures, but so glad I finally have something that works.

Again many thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: