Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I work part time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momathome
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Should I work part time? Reply with quote

Hello,
I’m new to the forum and it looks like a great place to be for current homeschoolers and those doing some research into it’s possibilities.

We have been considering homeschooling our 6 and 8 year old but economically it will be a challenge. I think we can do it if I work part time from home but there are many questions around that.

Should I not even be considering a homeschool if I still need to work part time?

I wonder what percentage of homeschool families have to have a part time income in order to survive?

I have looked into a few different things that haven’t appealed to me too much so far. Then the other day my dearest friend said girl you’re not thinking straight about some of this stuff you have looked at. Why not use what you have available and put it to work.

She said her sister’s friend has a home based preschool that she just loves. She makes some decent extra money while working just part time with an afternoon class. Apparently it is a lot easier to set up a preschool compared to a daycare.

I must admit that it does sound interesting but I’m not sure how that would blend with my kids. My head is so spinning right now.

Has anybody here done something similar and if not do you think it is a viable option?

I apologize for all the questions and I appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much.

Angie
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the actual percentage but I would guess that there are definitely quite a few families who homeschool and the mom works part-time. I know several homeschool moms who work in nursing and also homeschool.

The preschool idea sounds good to me. You could give it a try and see if it will work for your family. I had a day care in my home years ago (before I homeschooled) and I enjoyed it very much. I think you could make it work.

Here's something to keep in mind............with homeschooling, you have tons of flexibility. You can do some work with your children in the early mornings, evenings, weekends, etc. It doesn't matter 'when' the learning occurs; just so it does occur. So you will have the ability to figure out a way to work part-time and also get homeschooling done too.

You could give it a 'trial run' and see if it works. If it doesn't, you could try something different. Also, once you stop working, you might be surprised to find that many expenses will be eliminated - such as cost of gas to get to and from work and clothes. Best wishes.
RaysHomeschool
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us, most (if not all) of our schoolwork is done by lunch time, leaving plenty of time for me to do something in the afternoons. I run a home-business and try to keep to a schedule, homeschool in the mornings, help my oldest with anything she needs help with right after lunch, and then I work a my business until my husband gets home. There are times when I'm not done when he gets home but he understands and takes care of the kids while I finish up.
HomeschoolMama256
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Fundraising can help! Reply with quote

You know I had a hard time trying to figure out how homeschooling was going to work out financially.

I did work part time and my husband was able to work full time but money could get tight. So then I did some child care but that became too much to handle.

Have you thought of fundraising to help out with the finances? My son and I did this one last year, we sold Christmas wreathes. This one company called Wreaths of Maine is a great support for homeschool families.

I would try some fundraising out if money seems tight, and the wreath selling you can do asap because they take orders early!

Hope that helps Smile
onlineedublog
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the best thing about home schooling is that you get some spare time so its always good to get a part time job and earn some cash
judyhanning
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are able to manage time well you can definitely try a part time job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: