Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New, with lots of q's, that I hope someone can answer! :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBridwell11
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: New, with lots of q's, that I hope someone can answer! :) Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I posted my intro on the guestbook post, but just incase you didn't see it, here is some background info.

My husband and I are guardians to my 8yo Niece and 10yo Nephew. We also have a 13mo daughter and are expecting another daughter in May. We currently live in SoCal, but are moving to AZ at the end of May.

My Niece is in 2nd & my Nephew's in 4th. They have been struggling with school since Kinder(I've had them since Oct 2009). My Nephew actually repeated Kinder, which means he can't repeat again(CA law).

It is now almost March, and my Niece JUST reached the end of a 1st grade level. Which means she's a good 6 months behind, but I feel more so. The school will not hold her back!

My Nephew is failing every subject. He's atleast a beginning 3rd grade level and since he's already been held back, they won't do it again.

Both children shows signs of ADD/ADHD..My Nephew shows many signs of ODD and my Niece shows signs of SPD. Of course, I'm no doctor, but we are seaking further help to get them tested to find out for sure. Who knows if they need medicine, or if homeschooling can fix any of these signs. Only time will tell.

I want to pull them out NOW. Do you think that's a good idea? With an upcoming birth and move, it would give us lots of flexibility. Their current school doesn't get out til 6/20, and all AZ schools end late May, so theres no transfering from one to another. Which I didn't want to do anyway. I want to home school!

I know I need to sign an Affidavit for private school...and then what? Give the school notice? Or vice versa? Can I even take them out mid school year?? Anything else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!! Smile

Proud Trucker's Wife!
Mom of M(1yo-g) & soon B(EDD: 5/5-g)
Guardian of J(10yo-b) & H(8yo-g)
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can withdraw them in the middle of the school year. I would not hesitate to do it. I would begin homeschooling as soon as possible. Here is a link that should be helpful:

http://www.hsc.org/legal101.php
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: New, with lots of q's, that I hope someone can answer! : Reply with quote

MrsBridwell11 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I posted my intro on the guestbook post, but just incase you didn't see it, here is some background info.

My husband and I are guardians to my 8yo Niece and 10yo Nephew. We also have a 13mo daughter and are expecting another daughter in May. We currently live in SoCal, but are moving to AZ at the end of May.

My Niece is in 2nd & my Nephew's in 4th. They have been struggling with school since Kinder(I've had them since Oct 2009). My Nephew actually repeated Kinder, which means he can't repeat again(CA law).

It is now almost March, and my Niece JUST reached the end of a 1st grade level. Which means she's a good 6 months behind, but I feel more so. The school will not hold her back!

My Nephew is failing every subject. He's atleast a beginning 3rd grade level and since he's already been held back, they won't do it again.

Both children shows signs of ADD/ADHD..My Nephew shows many signs of ODD and my Niece shows signs of SPD. Of course, I'm no doctor, but we are seaking further help to get them tested to find out for sure. Who knows if they need medicine, or if homeschooling can fix any of these signs. Only time will tell.

I want to pull them out NOW. Do you think that's a good idea? With an upcoming birth and move, it would give us lots of flexibility. Their current school doesn't get out til 6/20, and all AZ schools end late May, so theres no transfering from one to another. Which I didn't want to do anyway. I want to home school!

I know I need to sign an Affidavit for private school...and then what? Give the school notice? Or vice versa? Can I even take them out mid school year?? Anything else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!! Smile

I took my dd out of a private school in California at Easter break of first grade. Very Happy

You should notify the school that you're withdrawing the dc; otherwise someone will think they're truant, and then you'll have people at your door. Shocked Although that's not a big deal since you're moving in a couple of months anyway, but still, it's a hassle you wouldn't want to deal with, right?

Are you going to continue to homeschool when you get to AZ?

You should request the dc's cum files when you withdraw them, unless you're planning to put them in school in AZ, which, BTW, I don't think is a good idea, 'cuz those dc will probably NOT catch up academically in school. Just sayin'... Very Happy
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
MrsBridwell11
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I was planning on taking them on at Spring break, but I just looked at the calendar, and that's not til April 9th.

That seems like a long time away, so I guess I should do it now....?

But what do I teach them from now til end of June when they would have gotten out of school? Anything I want or do I HAVE to follow what the school was doing? On the webpage I found, it says in CA, I must teach English, mathematics, social sciences, science, fine arts, health, physical
education.

How do I squeeze all of that in from March-June?

WWYD??

Proud Trucker's Wife!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBridwell11 wrote:
Ok, so I was planning on taking them on at Spring break, but I just looked at the calendar, and that's not til April 9th.

That seems like a long time away, so I guess I should do it now....?

That's up to you. Very Happy

Quote:
But what do I teach them from now til end of June when they would have gotten out of school? Anything I want or do I HAVE to follow what the school was doing? On the webpage I found, it says in CA, I must teach English, mathematics, social sciences, science, fine arts, health, physical
education.

How do I squeeze all of that in from March-June?

WWYD??

I wouldn't worry about it for a nanosecond. Do anything you want. No one gets to check up on you. Do what you think is best for the children and it will be fine.

Also, I think you should go ahead and refer to your nephew by the grade level he'd have been in if the school hadn't held him back. I have no doubt whatsoever that you will be able to help him make up any deficits he may have.
MrsBridwell11
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
Also, I think you should go ahead and refer to your nephew by the grade level he'd have been in if the school hadn't held him back. I have no doubt whatsoever that you will be able to help him make up any deficits he may have.

So, he's in 4th grade, but if he wasn't held back, than he would be in 5th and going into 6th this Sept. So I should teach him at a 5th grade level??

Hmm..ok..you know better then me, lol. I've been looking at 3rd grade curriculum this whole time because of him being behind.

Proud Trucker's Wife!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBridwell11 wrote:
elliemaejune wrote:

So, he's in 4th grade, but if he wasn't held back, than he would be in 5th and going into 6th this Sept. So I should teach him at a 5th grade level??

Hmm..ok..you know better then me, lol. I've been looking at 3rd grade curriculum this whole time because of him being behind.

No, that isn't exactly what I said. Smile

I said that if you have to fill out paperwork with grade levels, put 6th for September (you don't have to worry about the rest of this year). Many very good history and science rescourses don't have any grade levels attached, and there's nothing that anyone can really say "should" be taught then. Ditto with many of the resources available for English (grammar, writing, some spelling, etc.).

There are very excellent materials for math that aren't grade-level-specific, either, and even if your dc need materials that are below their age levels, that doesn't mean that, for instance, they must do "third grade" for everything.

And ditto for reading/spelling. One of my favorite methods for teaching children to read and spelling is Spalding, which is especially good for children of all ages and learning abilities. It has no grade level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: