Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

homeschool with a toddler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tammy
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: homeschool with a toddler Reply with quote

I have been doing school at home for 5 years. But I have been having hard time with my toddler. He is a wild man. I have 2 children that need me. My toddler is into thier books and pencils. He likes to move the chairs all over. I really don't know what to do. I did got a gate that blocks off the kitchen and my daughter room too.This helping a little.

Any suggestions?
su
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried providing him with his own "school" books/activities? If he can only get them out during school time, then he won't wear out their novelty (hopefully!!) My little ones have loved it when they could do their own "school work". Also, sometimes, the little ones just need our attention! Smile I know it can be hard to split our time, but the toddler years are some very important years for training Wink I know for me, it has been too easy to give too much of my attention to the older ones and their school work, and not give my little ones enough time Sad Maybe this is not you, but I know it is something I always need to be reminded of Wink .
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let my 2 yo son play with playdough while we sit at the table. he sits on my lap and the boys come to me with questions and to show me what they have done. maybe that would help
we also do most of the work while he is sleeping
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2 year old and we made her a pencil box of her own crayons and her own school books (Alphabet and number coloring books). So if she wants to be at the table during school time she has to work on her "school" work.

We try to do 99% of our school when she is sleeping.
LauraLeigh
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have a 2 year old and we made her a pencil box of her own crayons and her own school books (Alphabet and number coloring books). So if she wants to be at the table during school time she has to work on her "school" work.

We try to do 99% of our school when she is sleeping.

That's a good idea! I will be homeschooling my 8 year old starting next week and i have a gregarious 2 year old who has to be in the middle of all things, bless her heart! I think i will get her, her own set of "supplies" so she can feel included! Very Happy
janzeiger
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: I have one too! Reply with quote

We unschool so Loralei participates in everything with us. That is, until she goes to sleep in the afternoon when David and I then do crafts, writing, etc at the kitchen table.

In other words, we don't attempt to do that kind of thing when she's awake. We save it for the afternoons when she goes to sleep and do everything else (zoo, science center, library, environmental center, gymnastics, etc) in the morning when she's awake.

It's easy to forget that the little ones need attention too. Remember our first born had us on the floor playing with blocks. Subsequent children need that as well.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Toddler time first Reply with quote

When my now-fidgety 6-y-o was the wild toddler, I learned to start the schoolday by playing on the floor with her and her toys for however many hours it took until she was ready to play independently without me (usually 30-60 minutes). Then we would start doing the 3 older kids' lessons. If she started to disturb us too much later in the day I would do it all over again. This approach has proven helpful with my two younger ones as well, and applies also to other things in life besides homeschool.

Ramona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: