Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why call it public school at all?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettw777
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Why call it public school at all? Reply with quote

I sort of ruffles my feathers whenever I hear the term "public school." They are government schools. I really wish EVERYBODY would stop calling it that. The reason is that there is no such thing as a public school in America. The word “public” implies that the public actually has a say in what goes on and what is taught in the schools. They don’t. The government does. The teachers get paid by the government. The schools are on government land. They are regulated 100% by government, not by the taxpaying public. Take a country like the People’s Republic of China or the People’s Republic of Anywhere. Whenever you see the word “people” or “public,” it simply means that the people/public have absolutely no say whatsoever in what goes on in the aforementioned country or school. It just sounds nice and comforting to call them “public schools” instead of what they are.

Just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks!
4given
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point!
Jill
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the good point comment.
Katleeo
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really thought about the real MEANING of "public school"....
Thanks so much. That is true. I TOTALLY back you up 100%
TandLMommy28
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started (but have yet to finish) grad school at Pensacola Christian College and in History & Philosphy of Education my teacher always referred to them as government schools, never public schools. YOu aren't alone in that feeling!
Njmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point, indeed!
LisaMKH
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken to calling it government assistance. Think about it. It really is government assistance. Or it can be called welfare school. Regardless, parents need to take back responsibility for their children and rights too. Many parents just think they have to enroll their children. Then, they think they are not qualified to make decisions in their childrens lives. I did have my children in public school recently and cannot believe how much parents were scared or felt unqualified to make decision or even have opinions for their own children.
everydaylou
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have taken to calling it government assistance. Think about it. It really is government assistance. Or it can be called welfare school. Regardless, parents need to take back responsibility for their children and rights too. Many parents just think they have to enroll their children. Then, they think they are not qualified to make decisions in their childrens lives. I did have my children in public school recently and cannot believe how much parents were scared or felt unqualified to make decision or even have opinions for their own children.

well said! I'm going to use that.

Visit my blog: http://lifeaslou.blogsome.com/
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I call it the the state-ran default educational system. Should the parents not choose to educate their by other means legalized by state laws then this is the default educational system provided by the state.

Another thing, homeschooling is not really legal in any state that has compulsory attendance laws. Homeschooling is illegal without exceptions provided in the state laws so the state can permit homeschooling. State permission is licensing, that is the state allowing one to do something that would otherwise be illegal. Think about driving: You have the right to travel freely, but it is illegal to drive without a license (state permission).

I think "public schools" would be more easily recognized as a state educational institution if all the children were required to wear uniforms...and even though that gets a popular vote with a large margin in my area, the local BOE continues to ignore it.
roma
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a good point. I am 62, and I remember when the government was not so involved. The education, and lunches were so much better.
heenakapoor
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good point but I think the public schools are called public school not government school because Government want to make them for public, which can not afford private schools fee for teach their children and when the children come in school, they don't think that they are come in a government school, even they think it is a public school and it have some discipline and rules and they should live also their in discipline. If children have some fear in their mind about discipline, they will concentrate on their study and learning and it will best for their future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: