Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschool Law and Curriculum in Virginia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
autumn01
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Homeschool Law and Curriculum in Virginia Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

We are a Montessori homeschooling family in Virginia. We are currently homeschooling our preschoolers, who will start Kindergarten in the Fall of this year, 2012.I am doing everything I can to be able to continue teaching from the Montessori method, but am nervous and unsure about what exactly Virginia requires for Homeschool families curriculum wise. I was just reading over the Homeschool law in Virginia on this thread but still have a few concerns/questions. I have a high school degree, and am a few classes away from a two year Early Childhood Degree. I also have an extensive work history with children. I have found a few informal Montessor curriculums online, mostly written by homeschooling families, that I could use as guides along with guides about what your Kindergartner should know. I also have several Montessori Guide books as well as Early Childhood text books. Is all this sufficient material to show we are following a curriculum? Is only having a high school degree enough for me to not have to follow a boxed curriculum?

Visit: The Little Professors
http://thelittleprofessors.blogspot.com/
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeschool Law and Curriculum in Virginia Reply with quote

Since you are working on a degree in education, you should understand that the word "curriculum" does not mean "that stack of books there." Also, the law doesn't say you have to "follow a curriculum." Smile

IOW, you do not provide the titles or the publishers of the instructional materials you are using. The law says, "Parents must submit a 'description of curriculum,' which is a list of the subjects they intend to teach. Families are not required to describe the content of the individual courses." You list the subjects you intend to teach: reading, grammar, composition, spelling, early American history, life science, etc.

The law says one of the options is that you have a high school diploma. The end. Smile

Here's HSLDA's legal analysis of Virginia law.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
autumn01
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link and your response. I am confused about item 6. What things would make your 'curriculum' not be approved? Interesting.

elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the law doesn't say that your curriculum must be approved (#3).

Read #4 carefully. Smile
autumn01
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I did re-read that, and I had misunderstood. Looks like we're good to go Very Happy

elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: