Where should I start???

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Where should I start???

Postby kkapfe » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:38 pm

My nephew wants me to homeschool him. I looked at his 3rd quarter midterm report today and it wasn't great, some b's but also some c's and a d-. I'm happy to homeschool him and have actually been thinking about it for some time now. The question is this...I've never homeschooled a fifth grader before. My daughter is in first grade and this is our first year homeschooling. We've gone through many curriculums this year, some she's finished way ahead of schedule, others we've thrown away because we hated them. With my nephew I might only have next year, so switching curriculums repeatedly is NOT going to be an option.

So...do I start by having him tested? I'm sure he is at different levels in different subjects. I'm not sure what grade levels of curriculum to look at in various subjects. I know he LOVES science and wants to do as many science experiments as possible. He's also in love with Greek Mythology (whatever that is, I'm not really sure). Where do you start?? Any help would be fantastic!!

Postby momo3boys » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:10 pm

You might want to start by reading the "what my child needs to know in 5th grade" they are great at showing you where the child should be at, them you could customize a few days of figuring out what he knows, does he know his timestables, grammar, things like that. Then you could get curriculum by subject depending on where he is in each one.

I almost had the chance to homeschool my nephew, in 8th grade. I a little jealous and a lot excited for you. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Return to “Getting Started”