Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to California in May - Advice on homeschool thru ye

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vern
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Moving to California in May - Advice on homeschool thru ye Reply with quote

We currently are living in Buffalo, NY and have two children in the public schools (2nd grade and 4th grade). We are planning a move to Sacramento in about 8 weeks and instead of throwing them into a new school right away I'd like to homeschool them through the end of the school year.

I homeschooled them for two years before putting them into the public schools but I'm looking for any advice on how I handle the transfer from New York to California. My main concern is making sure they get credit for finishing the year and aren't in a situation where they have to repeat grades.

I may continue to homeschool them in California but nothing is certain right now. We're planning to drive cross country for the move and I am exceedingly excited about the homeschooling opportunities that alone presents!

This is a great opportunity for us but I'm overwhelmed with how to sift through everything to find out exactly what California requires from us.

Any advice?????
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pages listing the California legal requirements:

California Homeschool Network
Christian Home Educators Association of California
Homeschool Association of California (HSC)

You may also find our California Homeschool Groups page useful.

Basically, homeschooling under an ISP is probably the easiest, but ISPs charge a small fee. Short of that, you can set yourself up as a private school, which will require some additional record-keeping and covering the same minimum coursework as the public schools, but nothing too horrible.

If you intend to get your kids back into public school at the start of the next school year, you probably want to contact the public school now to find out how they handle entrance. They may just have a standard placement exam, in which case you probably don't have to worry, or they could require graduation from the previous grade, which means you'll want to finish whatever coursework is left over and provide a portfolio of work. Either way, the more information you have in advance, and the more time to handle it, the better. Get all responses in writing!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to California in May - Advice on homeschool thru Reply with quote

Vern wrote:
We currently are living in Buffalo, NY and have two children in the public schools (2nd grade and 4th grade). We are planning a move to Sacramento in about 8 weeks and instead of throwing them into a new school right away I'd like to homeschool them through the end of the school year.

I homeschooled them for two years before putting them into the public schools but I'm looking for any advice on how I handle the transfer from New York to California. My main concern is making sure they get credit for finishing the year and aren't in a situation where they have to repeat grades.

I may continue to homeschool them in California but nothing is certain right now. We're planning to drive cross country for the move and I am exceedingly excited about the homeschooling opportunities that alone presents!

This is a great opportunity for us but I'm overwhelmed with how to sift through everything to find out exactly what California requires from us.

Any advice?????

If you want to homeschool, you really won't need to do anything until next fall, when you will either file a private affidavit yourself (it's free and it's easy) or enroll your dc in a private school which enrolls hsers; the locals will call them "ISPs" (Independent Study Programs), which will be neither free nor particularly easy (although it will be WAY easier than hsing in New York!). Also, if you hs, then you don't have to worry about whether or not they get "credit" for the end of the year Smile

Sacramento has a county-wide group called Scope (Sacramento Christian Organization of Parent Educators). Scope is having a conference June 1 and 2, so you'll be getting there just in time.

http://www.scopehome.org/

If, in the fall, you decide to enroll your dc in public school, it is *probable*, because of their ages, that the school won't do much besides test them. In July or August, go visit the school they'll be attending and say that you're enrolling them in 3rd and 5th grades, and that you moved here from New York. You'll need photocopies of their immunization records, possibly birth certificates, and of course the address of the school they attended in New York so their records can be requested. (You could talk to the NY school now and tell them that you'll be enrolling them in the fall in Calif and ask for records.)

Your dc will have completed most of the school year in NY; they won't miss that much. And I would be shocked and surprised if they are not ahead of the dc in California anyway :-/
Vern
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses! The links are especially helpful. New York is so regulated and there was so much paperwork to fill out that it is almost inconceivable to imagine I simply need to complete an affadavit and be done with it until the next year. Sounds great to me though!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern wrote:
Thanks for the responses! The links are especially helpful. New York is so regulated and there was so much paperwork to fill out that it is almost inconceivable to imagine I simply need to complete an affadavit and be done with it until the next year. Sounds great to me though!

California's great Smile We started hsing in 1982, in San Diego. We moved to San Jose in 1987; I still have friends there and in Sacramento.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: