Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My son's extracurricular is...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LB_251w
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: My son's extracurricular is... Reply with quote

watching tv. After finishing his work all he wants to do is watch tv. He is only 6. Not only am i worried that he is watching too much, but im worried about what he is watching. I dont worry when im at home, but when is at a friends house or i have to get a babysitter, i dont know what he is watching. ther eis so much filth on tv today that it is sickening. Before i do something drastic like get rid of cable, or tv completely, are there any alternatives?
hbmom36
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limit him to no more than 1 hour per day-stick to that. Turn it off and ignore the fuss. If he throws a fit, keep the TV off the next day. If you have a babysitter, there's no reason you can't enforce the 1 hour rule.
When he plays at a friends' house, let them know about your rule, and the type of programs he is allowed to watch. That works for us.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Dump the TV. Reply with quote

You may find this thread interesting. My advice is to disconnect the TV - anything you want your son watching can be rented, and you really want him reading more books and watching less TV, at least until he gets older. We've never had a TV in our house.
Janet Tatman
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voice an amen to getting rid of the TV altogether. We raised the first of our four children without it and they turned out to be wonderful readers who learned to think for themselves. We made a weekly trip to libarary and pulled a cart to drag all the books in and out. We had to get rid of the TV altogether, because my husband and I were the worst violators. We had been raised by the TV in the 70's and we didn't want our kids sitting in front of it all day. Instead, we took our kids on walks, went on bike rides, and did an old fashion concept called - work.

However, somewhere along the way, my youngest children begged for a TV again so they could watch videos - which led to a few programs, which led to watching TV full time again. My youngest son confessed a personal struggle with lustful thoughts from all the underwear commercials and also all the suggestive comments in much of the programming that is on.

Pray about it. I think God has already shown you what to do. Psalm 101:2-3 - I will walk within my house in the integrity of my heart. I will set no worthless thing before my eyes.

God bless.
BB_homebody
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard about a new program from tivo called kidzone. I think it is like the vchip. you might want to check it out. Sounds like it could be a good thing for your kid.
LB_251w
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BBhomebody. I was just talking to one of my friends the other day and they mentioned that they have gotten kidzone. They ahve had a tivo for quite a while and have always loved it. They sais that kidzone is great for ttheir children. They said that it even recommends shows that are good for them to watch! how awesome is that? Anyways, thanks for the advice. im going to look into getting one asap. Laughing
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't had regular tv in our house for five years, and now I wish we could just chuck the whole thing. We watch videos on the tv with the dvd player or vcr, and the kids have a ps2. I can't stand how the kids get when the machine gets turned on, but I can't stand how I get more! We have cut it off most of the time, we might watch one video every other day or so, and the ps2 is a thing they have to earn it to be able to play. But, if your husband would agree to getting rid of all of it, I'd say go for it!
Lkat83
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids are allowed two hours of 'screen time', which includes computer games (we don't have video games), a day. AFter that, if they want more, they have to earn it by reading. One hour of reading gives them one hour of screen time. For awhile it was helping my older son read more, but he's since decided to find other things to do.
LB_251w
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUESS WHAT!

i got a TIVO! So far it works great. Thanks everybody for their input. I think i might consider the earning tv time through reading. That sounds nice. In the mean time im excited to be using Tivo's Kidzone to help me out!

Thanks again everyone.
toddler20
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use parental lock as well. You can allow only some of the good channels for your kid and restrict him from obscene material.
Blessings4all
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to no TV. We don't have it at our house. We just watch DVD's that I have approved of. We don't watch them regularly, just a few per month. Our house has been a lot happier since we have quit watching all of the bad news. I can easily check out the latest headlines on the internet. Disconnect your TV. Believe me, you'll be much happier.

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.
AngelaBreckenridge
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your situations. I suggest you to give him some activities when you are not at home. Or you can also buy his CD's that you know that even he is watching he gain knowledge. If he is also love to learn in Mymathdone.com you can get ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: