Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"What did you learn today?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LearningEveryDay
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: "What did you learn today?" Reply with quote

All my life I've wakened every morning excited about what I'll experience & learn that day. When I was growing up, at the dinner table each of us was asked to tell about something new we learned that day; I still love to hear at the dinner table the words, "What did you learn today?"

As a secondary-ed home-school-tutor and higher-ed professor, my best students have Always been home schooled. Therefore, I have great respect for these families and what they do. I am glad to be a part of this forum not only for what I may be able to contribute, but also for what I may be able to learn from you.

My blog is about anything I learn on any subject. I may not post every day, but I will post most days of the week. I hope you and your students will enjoy exploring this path with me.
All my life I've wakened every morning excited about what I'll experience & learn that day. My blog is about anything I learn on any subject. I hope you will enjoy exploring this path with me. http://whatdidyoulearntoday-everyday.blogspot.com
Poppa C.O.B.
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to ask my kids if they had a good day at school. Most times they say they did. Then I ask them if they learned anything new in school. If they say no, I just say, well it must not have been a good day at school if you didn't learn anything new.
LearningEveryDay
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, and good for you, good reply!

My parents said they learned early to never ask "yes" or "no" questions when the kids came in from school. So they started asking questions that required a detailed response based on what they knew we had for homework the previous day, such as "Tell me the details about the class discussion you had today about chapter 5 in geography," or "Tell me the details about the lecture today on chapter 8 in history." If we said "I don't remember" then we had to either re-read the chapter aloud to one of them, or had to re-read the chapter then write a synopsis of the chapter with the book closed. We learned in a big hurry to give an accurate accounting of the facts of whatever they asked for!
All my life I've wakened every morning excited about what I'll experience & learn that day. My blog is about anything I learn on any subject. I hope you will enjoy exploring this path with me. http://whatdidyoulearntoday-everyday.blogspot.com
Poppa C.O.B.
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I bet. I push a bit and they get bored relearning the things they learned in school. I try to mix it up a bit and take it just a step or two farther than what they learned in school or come at it from another direction. Their favorite is talking about the people that invented the thing or process they are learning about. We like history here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: