Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it ok to send my 2 1/2 yo to a class?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cewing
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Is it ok to send my 2 1/2 yo to a class? Reply with quote

I have a 2 1/2 yo and 6 mon old right now. My husband and I are seriously considering homeschooling and will probably go that way. We're still in the learning process. I was just wondering if it goes against the homeschooling philosophy to send our 2 1/2 yo to a class once or twice a week for about an hour each time? Honestly, we don't have any family around and I NEED a break right now and figured he would enjoy it as well. HELP!
danielle82
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to send my 2 1/2 yo to a class? Reply with quote

I think there are many "homeschooling philosophies". I sent both of my children to pre-school two days a week, 2 hours a session before I started homeschooling kindergarten. My homeschooling philosophy is to do what works well for my family. So if you want to send your child to a class a couple days a week, and it feels right to you, my philosophy says to do it
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably won't hurt, just probably won't help a huge amount either from an educational perspective. Sounds more like you're looking for daycare than education per se.
Momma24
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Theodore with the thought that maybe you are just needing a baby sitter. I was the teacher of a 3 yr old Kindergarten class right out of high school, and although the children did learn the colors, shapes, a few numbers and letters, I don't think that I was anything other than a glorified baby sitter/ good influence! Wink
brookeh9
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think starting your child earlier is better. It gives them a headstart and makes the learning more natural. There are a lot of philosophies that believe that waiting until a child turns 5 is too late. You will want to look at different development philosophies for children at this age to see how it will impact them.
dorothymiles123
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Home schooling Reply with quote

I think having your child go home schooling at her age is fine if you see that it is on her ability as sometimes there are kids who just want to play and play.

Dorothy Miles
Home School
www.home-school.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: