Good citizenship Studies in Texas

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Vomo
User

Good citizenship Studies in Texas

Postby Vomo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:21 pm

Hello I'm New and I'm trying to figure out the best way to abide by the Texas required "Good Citizenship" Curriculum?
I have read the deffinition of what "Good Citizenship" is on the THSC website but still don't understand it in a whole. I'm thinking it is pretty much what I would call History Lessons of the U.S.A. & Texas. If I do have a good understanding it. Why then do they have to give it a fancy name of "Good Citizenship" and not Just call it History????
My daughter is in the 8th Grade. If that hleps any.
Would love any and all help with this one.
-Veronica :0)

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:43 pm

Good citizenship in my mind would be a course in civics, of sorts. Understanding of how our government works, voting, the president, past presidents, US history, etc.

Not sure how TX defines it but that's what I think of when I hear "good citizenship". As for the name, yeah, all that was "Social Studies" when I was a kid. Schools seem to like coming up with vague new terms in the ever changing attempt to be PC. This may be another one of those attempts.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:17 pm

THSC: What is a course in good citizenship?
The judge determined that such a course was a civics course or a study of government.

Vomo
User

Postby Vomo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:26 am

THANKS! :D
Yup I guess it is that PC thing. LOL! Ithink they should Just call it History or how about Life PAst & Present that will cover every thing....LOL!
Thanks again :)

elliemaejune
User

Re: Good citizenship Studies in Texas

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Vomo wrote:Hello I'm New and I'm trying to figure out the best way to abide by the Texas required "Good Citizenship" Curriculum?
Would love any and all help with this one.

Well, there really isn't a "curriculum." There's only a requirement that it must be done. Given the lack of more direction, I'd say you're free to do whatever *you* think fits the bill.

What do *you* think your dc needs to know to be a good citizen? Do that.

Vomo
User

Postby Vomo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:06 pm

Well I went straight to the source....my daughter! I went over a list of a few things and she came up with a few too. She decided she wants to learn more about elections & ect. :) So we are off to get some books and ect tomorrow

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:57 am

good solution. :)

dectaz
User

Postby dectaz » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:10 pm

I am n Texas.
I am new here, but I feel your angst.
This was our first year, but I feel I have a firmer grasp on the concept than I did last year....

If your daughter were in Public School, Texas would consider her "Texas History" and U.S. History" classes to meet the equivalent Civics requirement.

Therefore, to me it means, "age appropriate social studies, history, geography and how to function in society, such as voting and jury duty.

My first graders meet that requirement by leaning the 7 continents, American History in "Christopher Columbus" history and learning about why and how people vote. (Not a complete list, of course.)

If they were in 8th grade, it may include a more in depth study of how a bill becomes a law, American and World History topics, and even perhaps a study of who our local and state elected official are and what they do.

Texas rocks for homeschoolers!
Funny sticker that sticks it to the nay-sayers...
http://www.cafepress.com/hometecher.115890103

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”