Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honey Wheat Bread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Fyara
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Honey Wheat Bread Reply with quote

This is my sister-in-law's recipe that I use it all the time. Smile

5 1/2 Cups warm Water
1/2 Cup Honey
4 tsp Salt
1/3 Cup Oil
3 TBS Yeast
6 Cups Whole Wheat Flour.

Stir for 1 minute.

Add 6 more cups of flour, a little at a time.

Knead for 10 minutes. (You may use a mixer, but I always knead by hand). Let the dough rise in the bowl for 20 minutes, in a warm place ( 85 -100 degrees). Punch the dough, cut it into four sections, shape it into loafs and place them in four buttered bread pans. Let them rise again in a warm place for about 20-30 minutes, and bake for 30 minutes at 350. The Loaves should be golden brown. I usually butter the tops when I get them out, and wrap them in a big towel until they cool. (One loaf is usually gone while it's still warm!)

You can freeze any extra you may have or make croutons. Very Happy
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: I'll have to go dig up a copy of our secret recipe... Reply with quote

Hmm, we do regular whole wheat bread. Goes better with a larger variety of things imho. Cheese fondue with bread chunks, pea soup with bread chunks, broiled cheese sandwiches (have you noticed I like cheese?), toast and honey, toast and butter, homemade turkey stuffing, etc. I'll have to go dig up a copy of our secret recipe and post it here too Smile
Princess_Fyara
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol,Very Happy Please do share it. I love to try new recipes. You'll have to try mine once too. Wink
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Bread baking Reply with quote

I am in the mood to try some new recipes. Yesterday, I made 3 loaves, hotdog and hamburger buns, and bran muffins. All of these were made without any wheat flour - white or whole. They were made with sorghum, tapioca, rice, potatoe, bean, and montina flours. These flours do not have the protein gluten which is the "glue" and is a leavening agent in wheat, barley, and rye. Some people have an intolerance to gluten which makes them very sick. I baked those items for my son. Of course, I had to sample everything. I'm off to the gym in a few minutes.
I love the smell of baked goods during the winter. Since it is going to snow tomorrow night and Saturday, gluten-free brownies and cookies are on the to-do list along with wheat bread baking for the rest of the family. And if I'm not quick enough to hide the GF brownies before baking a wheat batch they'll be gone. Well, I'm off to the gym. Looks like a high calorie and carb weekend for me.
Princess_Fyara
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regina,

Have you used Spelt at all? I've heard it works good, but haven't tried any yet.
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used Spelt. I have been experimenting with flours that do not contain the protein gluten. Spelt is in the same category as wheat, barley, and rye in that it contains gluten. If you try Spelt, let me know how it works and tastes.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: What recipes do you have that use rice or rice flour? Reply with quote

Do you have any recipes that use rice or rice flour? My sister has some friends who are allergic to any sort of grain or grain product (as well as milk or anything made with milk, etc.) I don't think the human body is designed to live off fruit alone. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Theodore on Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Recipes for rice flour Reply with quote

There are several books that have recipes that use flours from roots and beans, like potato, tapioca, gabanzo beans, etc. as well as rice flour. The types and purposes of flours are defined. The recipes can be adjusted for particular allergies like corn, milk, eggs, soy... Recipes for appetizers, breakfast, main dishes, pastas, breads, desserts,...

This type of cooking seems difficult because the ingredients are unusual. Once the ingredients are purchased (Look on-line, health food store, Asian market, and places listed in books), organized, and the cooking begins, it becomes easier to put it all together.

The Gluten-Free Gourmet (revised edition) by Bette Hagman
The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods by Bette Hagman
Gluten-Free Celebrations Memeorable Meals Without Wheat by Carol Fenster, Ph.D.
Princess_Fyara
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I wasn't sure if spelt was in the gluten category or not.

I have some good rice recipes, though none are for bread. Smile
jan
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: about the honey wheat bread? Reply with quote

I love the honey oat bread that they have at subway restaurants. Is this bread similiar in taste? could you just add some oats to this recipe? what size bread pans do you use for this recipe? could you make this bread in a bread machine? I have never made bread myself,but i am interested in trying especially if is better for you health any tips or pointers would be great plus any good recipes. i have really enjoyed reading all of your postes. thanks!
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Honey Wheat Bread? Reply with quote

Look for these books and check out this web site
Beard on Bread Beard, James 641.815B
Laurel’s Kitchen Bread Book Robertson, Laurel 641.815R
The Bread Recipe Oppenneer, Betsy 641.815O
How Bread Works http://home.howstuffworks.com/bread.htm/printable

Start out with a very simple recipe. Don't give up if it doesn't work out the first time, but it probably will.
jan
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: thank you! Reply with quote

Very Happy I WILL CHECK OUT THESE BOOKS AND THE WEBSITE. I WILL GIVE IT A GOOD TRY, I HOPE I AM SUCCESSFUL I WILL POST AGIAN TO LET YOU KNOW THE RESULTS. Razz Very Happy HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE GOOD!
Lisa Sloan
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Whole Wheat Bread Reply with quote

I have been blessed to attend two bread making classes by Betsy Oppenneer and can strongly recommend all of her cookbooks. She has a Tomatoe Basil bread that is absolutely wonderful. My husband constantly requests that one.

There are a couple of things I learned in her classes that I will pass on. First, it is unnecessary to punch your dough down after the first rising. As a matter of fact, it makes it very difficult to shape the bread. Second, use a thin layer of olive oil on your counter/board when you are rolling out the bread instead of more flour. The flour will not absorb into the bread but the olive will.

Betsy even has videos on how to make bread.
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Whole Wheat Bread Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. Maybe I'll try the tomato basil bread. I'll purchase a video and pass it on to my daughter.
teacher22
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: gluten free recipes Reply with quote

Regina, are your gluten free loaves and buns from the gluten free gourmet? I'm also gluten free and I'm always looking for new recipes. Thanks.
Alison
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: