Special diet anyone?

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momo3boys
User

Special diet anyone?

Postby momo3boys » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:44 pm

I am working on trying a new avenue for my oldest son's memory retrieval issue. I was wondering if anyone had any good info or sites that could help me out. I am willing to make a major change for the whole family, after all, cutting out all those artificial colors and junk isn't a bad thing. :) :)
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:57 pm

So far we have taken out anything that God did make for us to eat himself. :)
As well as milk and chocolate and as little sugar as possible, including juice.

Any other ideas?

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:42 pm

OliveOly
User

Postby OliveOly » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:29 am

Well, I'm new here, but I do have experience with this. I could write six pages on this, or I could just give you some links and invite you to ask questions if you need to.

We do GFCF diet -- that stands for gluten-free, casein-free. It has worked wonders for our child with autism, and we have since found out that four of us need the diet in this family, thanks to some testing that identified it. We all feel much better, even though some of didn't even really have symptoms of gluten intolerance.

Also we try to avoid corn syrup -- it's a dirty, cheap additive that turns into what it is by devious means. We also don't do food dyes. We are not terribly strict about the corn syrup and food dyes-- if we go to a party and the only thing my son can eat is a fruit roll up, because they are serving pizza and cake, then we eat the fruit roll up. But overall, it helps.
Start with www.gfcfdiet.com and www.danasview.net
A lot of these talk about autism, but research shows that the diet works for other issues that experts now believe are on the autism spectrum -- such as ADD/ADHD, tourettes, and children with behavior and anger problems.
Ask me questions. I have lots of articles and links.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:44 am

OliveOly
User

Postby OliveOly » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:12 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:39 am

I got a book at the library about GFCF and it has some great recipes in it. My problem right now is being bale to afford it. DO you notice a difference in your grocery bill? It is ridiculous how expensive it is to eat well. :x

mamaholly
User

Postby mamaholly » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:57 am

Just wanted to join in. My son was a former foster child with Bipolar disorder and a long family history of the same. We quickly found out that he reacted strongly to large amounts of calcium... whether a glass of milk or fortified orange juice... so we took him off milk pretty early.

In December of last year, he had become so picky and had limited his diet to one or two "acceptable" foods and his medication was not helping and we were all at the ends of our ropes. Not to mention that everyone but the baby was obese.

We dropped sugar and went to a whole foods diet. As someone said earlier... just the stuff that God makes. John has made drastic improvements. And I've lost almost 70lbs. DH has lost 60lbs. And DS has lost nearly 40. DS' medicine has decreased and he actually plays with other children now.

In a month of school I've not lost one day to him being incapable of handling it at all. This is really major as I used to go year round including Saturdays just so we could get in our 180 days.

I believe he has a wheat sensitivity or allergy. His bedwetting was horrific... we measured several times before and he was wetting at least 5 times each night. He would be so wet that his fingers would be wrinkled when he woke up and he would be wet from neck to toes.

Nowadays, he is wet most mornings but mostly in a circle about the size you would expect. He wets one to two times a night now. Unless he has bread or something with wheat flour. And there are slight changes in his behavior too, when that happens.

You know, you could try the gf/cf and if it improves life for your DS, great. If it doesn't you could always go back.

Btw, I have found I can't tolerate much sugar at all without becoming a real moody demon. Amazing I could function before.

Best wishes to you.
Mom to John (8yo) and Hanna (19mo)

RawVeganFruitMom
User

Postby RawVeganFruitMom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:44 am

I just joined this forum..

My son is speech delayed. We live a very unique diet lifestyle. We are Raw Vegan Fruitarian Gluten Free, Grain Free, Soy Free...Canola Free. Etc Etc..

I have put together an informational website of my online research about toxins and ways to detox from them.

If you are interested, here it is..
http://www.freewebs.com/nontoxicsusan

A Great book I like to recommend to people is The Detox Miracle Sourcebook by Robert Morse N.D. The author is a naturopath. He has his own website...
http://www.godsherbs.com

Tashathomson
User

Re: Special diet anyone?

Postby Tashathomson » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:29 pm

MamaLibby
User

Postby MamaLibby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:24 pm

LIBBY unschooling mama to:
Ella, age 10
Caleb, age 8
Nick, age 6