Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SONLIGHT.......HELP!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOMS
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: SONLIGHT.......HELP!!!! Reply with quote

This is my 2nd yr homeschooling. I have a 9yo boy, 6yo boy, 4yr girl & almost 2yo boy. I used a mixture of things last year but am now ready for a complete curriculum. I chose "My Father's World" for my 6yo & was back & forth between that & Sonlight for my 9yo. I decided to go with Sonlight & (even though I honestly put in hours & hours of reasearch online, reading & even talking to both for hours & the CHEA convention this month) somehow overlooked Sonlight's "questionable" choice of some of their reading materials & how they tend to throw in the teachings of other religions (buddism, Islam...). However I do like some of the other things. I'm wondering if anyone knows how easy it would be to leave out these other books or is it a consistent theme that too tangled up with everything else??? ALL SUGGESTIONS/OPINIONS/EXPERIENCES PLEASE!!!
Mia (6)
Baby Hondo (4)
mamalexy
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first year with Sonlight, and we're doing Core 5 (now called Core F) that I bought used from a friend. We're actually leaving out a few books, but not for the same reason.

In their twenty-something reasons NOT to buy Sonlight, they talk expressly about their inclusion of other religious ideas and peoples and their reasons for doing so. I, for one, find this to be a responsible Christian approach. I want to educate my child, not indoctrinate her... but that's just me. I'd rather we talk candidly about other religions, ideas, cultures, etc. instead of her first encounter being when she's out from under my roof. I would feel like I was setting her up to be either too naive to defend/express her beliefs and the differences between her faith and others intelligently, or to be bigoted against people of other faiths, neither of which is desirable.

All that said, you can choose to leave out whatever you wish, but it may be easier to go with something like Heart of Dakota, that's still literature based, but is more 'safely' Christian.
MOMS
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We decided to go with My Father's World. It also goes into discussing other religions, which I too think is VERY important for the children to know about. However, it doesn't go into as much detail as far as making them memorize other gods, their names, meaning of their names, etc. which I feel is more appropriate for someone older studying religion & apologetics & things like that. Not for the younger ones where introducing them to ideas where partial truth is mixed with deception can be confusing & cause doubt & questioning of the full truth of the Gospel. Thanks for the loving encouragement though Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mia (6)
Baby Hondo (4)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: