Homeschool to get child into 1st grade?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

allisonsmom918
User

Homeschool to get child into 1st grade?

Postby allisonsmom918 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:25 am

Here is my situation...

My daughter is 4 years old and will turn 5 on September 18th. The cut-off for Kindergarten is September 1st at the local public school. She has been in preschool now for two years. During the pre-school and kindergarten round up in the spring, my husband and I informed the school that even though she is two weeks past the cut-off date, she is ready for kindergarten. After a couple months of the run around, they told us that she would not be allowed to start kindergarten this year. To make matters worse, she is not going to be doing the pre-school program at the school because there were "only so many slots and too many kids for the program." Since my daughter has had two years of private pre-school (and also my teaching at home), they wanted to give some of the kids without any education a chance to learn. :shock:

So, now what do I do??? I have looked at several private kindergartens and they are WAY out of my budget. I have decided that I'm going to homeschool my daughter for kindergarten using a homeshool curriculum. She is already quite advanced and would probably be bored in kindergarten so I don't think it will be too challenging to get her prepared for 1st grade. I'm just not sure what the school is going to think about this. Has anyone else had issues with placement after homeschooling their child and putting them into a public school?

I'm just not willing to let the school hold her back because she is two weeks past a cut-off date. I want her to keep advancing! She is a sponge right now and letting her sit in the private pre-school for another year just to go into kindergarten next year is such a waste!!!

Anyway, any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Homeschool to get child into 1st grade???

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:48 pm

My mother's birthday was also September 18, and yes, she missed the cut-off date by two weeks.

Your dd might still not be allowed to enter first grade the following year, regardless of what you do this year. You can try it if you want, but why not just keep homeschooling?
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

hsingscrapper
User

Re: Homeschool to get child into 1st grade???

Postby hsingscrapper » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 pm

coloradomama
User

Postby coloradomama » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:05 pm

First to answer your question. Probably would be no problem to enter PS after HS. I don't know where you live. But here in Colorado my kids had no problem enteribg PS after homeschooling. Homeschooled my son for K and then to PS for 1st. As for my daughter, she too was very ready for K at age 4 but had a December Bday. So homeschooled her for "Kindergarten" using 1st grade cirriculum. Two years later when decided to enroll into PS, she was a grade above what school age was. So the school allowed the teacher to "test" her and she enrolled as a 3rd grader when by age she should've been in 2nd. Both kids did well academically for the 3 years in PS. But we are returning homeschooling this year for various reasons, some having to do with PS and some personal. Needless to say, PS after HS was not a problem for us. Just have to agree with the 2 previous reply and say why not just keep homeschooling! :)

danielle82
User

Postby danielle82 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 pm

FabulousMommy
User

Re: Homeschool to get child into 1st grade?

Postby FabulousMommy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:15 pm

elliemaejune
User

Re: Homeschool to get child into 1st grade?

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:37 am

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Getting Started”