Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CLEP and similar coursework on a transcript

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimkg
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: CLEP and similar coursework on a transcript Reply with quote

My son did a year of Abeka Grammar, and then also took the English Composition with Essay CLEP. Do I give him 2 units on his transcript, one for "Grammar" and one for the CLEP?

Similarly, he did an Analyzing Literature curriculum, and also took the Analyzing & Interpreting Lit CLEP. It seems he should get both units since he did the work, but I don't want his transcript to look redundant or exaggerated.

Kim
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One high school credit is equal to 120 to 180 hours of work. As a general rule, your teen should spend about 50 minutes on each class, five days a week.

If your son spent approximately this amount of time on the Abeka Grammar and the Analyzing Literature, then you can give him a credit for both. (in addition to his CLEP credits) You could possibly call the classes "Grammar" and "Literature" on the transcript (or whatever names you choose) and the CLEP credits would be called by their specific names. Did he do these things at different times? You can count them in different semesters or years.

And for his CLEP exams, it doesn't matter how much time he spent studying, etc. It still counts as one credit because it is equivalent to a college class.
kimkg
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the Grammar course not be seen as coursework in preparation for taking the CLEP? He did complete the curriculum, so that warrants a unit, and he also took the CLEP, which warrants a unit, but is it basically the same unit?

Likewise, he completed US History 1 curriculum, and took the CLEP. Two units or one??

Kim
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably say just count it as one......if he was using the curriculum as a way to prepare/study for the CLEP.

My son studied for and took the U.S. History 1 CLEP this year and I counted it as only one credit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: