Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turning off the TV!?! HELP!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Turning off the TV!?! HELP!!! Reply with quote

I'm looking for ideas on losing the TV. I have a 2 1/2 year old and an (almost) 7 month old. It seems that I'm forever turning the "idiot box" on, and I don't know how to turn it off! When I'm nursing the baby, it's handy to occupy my oldest. When I need to get some work done, it's so easy to turn it on! Has anyone else struggled with this? We're in Minnesota, so it's been tough to get outside...far to cold for my little one, so I'm stuck in the house; therefore, so is my oldest. Any suggestions as to what I can set before my daughter, that doesn't need constant supervision? And has anyone else struggled with this?
Thanks in advance!
srvhim4life
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: T.V. time or play time Reply with quote

My name is Alyssa, I'm 14 years old. I too live in MN. I babysit my brother in the morning while my mom is at work. My brother is 4 years old, and he loves to sit in front of the T.V.
What I do is play games that educate his mind and I don't even have to get off of the couch. I tell him to go find a toy that starts with a letter (any letter)and he goes and finds it. Sometimes we will act out a show that we have seen on T.V or make one up. Now you were probably looking for something different, but I just wanted to help.

Alyssa Smile
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHen i was breastfeeding my second son i would read a story to my oldest. That way they each got attention. those pillows worked great for that.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Allene
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, I feel your pain. My dd is just 10 mo old. I have been lurking here for a while since I have decided to homeschool, but I felt I must let you know that you are not alone.

When I had her and decided to be a stay-at-home mom, one of the first things I decided to do was turn the TV off. I started looking at the TV as a mom and I was MORTIFIED. I now know (at least just a teeny bit) how an addicted smoker must fee. That thing sits in the corner of the family room like a tempting siren. But I am doing it.

What helped was listening to the radio instead. I found that if I plopped in front of the TV I stayed there. If I had the radio on, I wasn't watching and started to get things done. My productivity at home has been helped.

We also have local weather channel that just does weather with a couple local commercials, some local camera shots, and music background with a news scrawl across the bottom. If I need a "fix" this seems to do it and my dd isn't exposed to talking news heads and visually awful stuff that you would get on CNN, etc.

I have to say that if I can get this particular monkey off my back, my next stop is a diet. This time it might work.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up TV for lent last year. THat is not easy because i live with my father-in-law who is addicted to it, watches from 7am till10pm!! But i did it. I spent a llot of time on the computer, and in my room reading, a lot. But it was worth it. I was very glad to have done it, and even now, a year later, it doesn't have that hold on me like it used to.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
memmerrill
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a TV "bank." It's a homemade "piggy bank" and I made cardboard "coins" for the bank. We have eight 15 minute coins and when they are used up, that's it for the day! Also, we only watch DVD's, not TV. That way we're not messing with commercials and when the DVD is over, it's over!
mdsmomct
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the TV bank idea- I am going to use that one! Maybe even for DH! Smile
Sandy
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one Very Happy ! We've been doing better...I made a list of all the things I'd rather see her do, so when she asks, I'll suggest something from my list. It's been going pretty well. But I still crave the quiet, non-interrupted time that the tv offers. I feel so awful saying that!!! I think that will be my #1 challenge when we start homeschooling. I need time to myself. But I'm sure we'll manage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: