Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

when to join HSLDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byHisgrace
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: when to join HSLDA Reply with quote

My son will be turning 5 when we start homeschooling in September. We are in California, where the compulsory school age is 6. He will not turn 6 until fall 2008, our second year of homeschooling. Does anyone recommend joining HSLDA before the compulsory school age? I ask because technically he would be enrolled in kindergarten if he was in public school, and I wondered whether anyone has been contacted by a school district about a homeschooled child who is that age but not in school. Can anyone think of any other reason to join HSLDA early?
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us, in Missouri, we do not have to notify anyone. Personally I want to join, but $$ is tight at the moment. I have 1 child who will be compulsory age this fall and 2 who are still under age. My plan in between now and when my middle child (who is now 2) gets compulsory age we will join. I saw you can do life time membership for $1000 and that is what we would do since we know we have at least 17 more years of home school left to get through all 3 of our kids. Just have to wait till I have the $1000 to do it.

Be interesting to see what others say about this issue.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no real point in joining HSLDA when your child isn't mandatory school age yet. I assume you didn't enroll him in kindergarten and then pull him out?
byHisgrace
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: hslda Reply with quote

No, I did not enroll him. He is currently in private preschool, but he has never been in the public school system.

Thank you for your insight. I kind of assumed there wouldn't be a reason, but I wanted to see what experienced homeschoolers thought.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then. Some states set the mandatory age at x years old OR whenever the child is first enrolled in a school, but I just checked the California law and it seems that California just has a standard 6-18 years of age. So you should be fine.
byHisgrace
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: hslda Reply with quote

Thanks. I think because I am an attorney, I am more cautious about these things. I also know that confrontations happen even when homeschooling parents are within their rights.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: when to join HSLDA Reply with quote

byHisgrace wrote:
My son will be turning 5 when we start homeschooling in September. We are in California, where the compulsory school age is 6. He will not turn 6 until fall 2008, our second year of homeschooling. Does anyone recommend joining HSLDA before the compulsory school age? I ask because technically he would be enrolled in kindergarten if he was in public school, and I wondered whether anyone has been contacted by a school district about a homeschooled child who is that age but not in school. Can anyone think of any other reason to join HSLDA early?

He is not compulsory school age; I wouldn't join HSLDA yet. Next year, I'd say join in, oh, July. Things will be very busy then, but public schools don't start until September, so you should be covered by then.

If you are contacted (and yes, they have their ways, even if your dc has never attended a public school), you tell them that you are enrolling your dc in a private school. You don't need to answer any other questions.

And do NOT file an affidavit or join a private ISP until the year your dc would be entering first grade. He won't be compulsory school age, so there's no point in doing anything like that until he is.
Joylane
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently joined HSLDA. I didn't join because I was in fear of needing them (though it is nice to know they are there). I joined because I have been homeschooling for a year and find their website to have wonderful information and their cause to be very important and dear to me. I guess I look at it as more of a donation to something I believe very strongly in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: