Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New At Homeschooling in Michigan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aishashule
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: New At Homeschooling in Michigan Reply with quote

Hello to all,

I have recently decided to take my daughter out of 6th grade at a public school and homeschool her. I have absolutely no funds for any teaching curriculum and have no idea how to begin homeschooling. Any feedback or assistance from anyone would be most helpful, especially regarding what subjects I need to teach her.

Thanks
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: You will need to cover, at a minimum: Reply with quote

You will need to cover, at a minimum:

Reading
Math
Writing (including spelling, language arts)
Science
History

You'll probably also want to cover phys-ed, some form of humanities (art, music appreciation, poetic forms, etc.), and before the end of high school, state history as well. Depending on your state, there may be one or two additional requirements. Let me know what state you're in, and I can give you a link to the requirements.

Since you have no funds for curriculum, you need to put together the coursework from library resources, whatever materials you can borrow from your local homeschool groups, and if all else fails, the Internet. Everything you need is out there - the only problem is digging it up and putting it together. You may need to buy a used math textbook, and you'll also want materials for basic science experiments, but I doubt this will run you more than maybe $100 total, less if you can share the science projects with other families.
aishashule
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reside in Michigan. Thanks so much for your quick response. I can't wait to get started.
iamloved22
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Michigan as well and just getting ready to pull my 4th grader out of school very soon. I would like the same information as the OP.

aishashule - what county are you in? I'm in Lapeer.

Jamie
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say hi and welcome. I have been homeschooling my two boys (ages 7 and 10) since September. We are in Oakland County.

Alisa
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look around online you can find a lot of free things to use. Also, it is my firm belief that with a notebook and a library card you can learn anything. Your library should be your best friend. Take a trip there each week and load up on books that your dc and you can enjoy reading together. Good luck!
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling for free Reply with quote

One of my big "things" as a homeschooler has always been to spend as little as possible. Use any books in your house, any magazines, any objects. Educate your kids about what is around them. Use kitchen and bathroom products and natural outdoor things for science. Start with what you already own or can borrow and do it all. Things that must be saved up for can wait until you've had time to save. Math problems can be made up out of your own head, based on real life things that you use math for. (I much prefer to buy a math workbook for under $2 at the drug or discount store than to spend $5 or $10 on a used textbook.)

Write your life stories and have your children do the same. Write daily in a journal. Listen to the radio and learn the songs on your favorite station. Discuss the news. Grow a garden. Provide service to neighbors, the elderly, disabled members of your communities, and others. Clean the junk out of your house together and explain old obsolete objects.

Use all the junk mail that comes into the house. Teach basic economics and home economics with it, teach reading, spelling and handwriting, and if there are stickers to put on something that would be ordered, use them as school rewards. They often say Yes! or contain things like gold stars. Use the backs of white paper to do math and writing practice, use colored paper to make art projects. Use pictures of anything in nature to illustrate science lessons. If you ever get ads for children's books or magazines, make the time and effort to read the tiny print on the "sample pages" and use those for school.

Once you start homeschooling and get to know other homeschoolers in your area, you'll be able to start participating in curriculum swaps and such things. Also, tell all your relatives to give your children educational materials for Christmas, birthday and other gifts. Give them yourself. If you get cash or gift cards, put them toward school supplies and books.

Go to museums and similar attractions in your area where donations are requested instead of fees charged and donate nothing or a tiny bit, then bring home all the free literature they are giving away and study that in your homeschool.

Ask friends if you can have their old newspaper and magazines.

There are so many resources for educating at home that don't cost money!

Enjoy,
Ramona
Joylane
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a whole 3rd grade lot of discarded textbooks for $23 on ebay that included math, language arts (English), social studies, science, and spelling. I supplement whatever we are doing with books from the library or workbooks from Walmart or a teacher supply store. It does require work on my part since I don't have a lesson plan to follow, but it really is not that bad. It takes me about 2 hours on the weekend (at the most) to sit down and roughly plan out what the next weeks lessons will be. I also use the Core Knowledge series What your ___grader needs to know" as a guideline for each grade. You can usually find these used for under $10.

With education I find that the time you put into is far superior than the amount of money.

It also is amazing what you can find at flea markets and yard sales. I got an old English book from the early 1900's that went from 1st though 6th grade that is one of the best books I have found for rules of grammar. I think I spent $3 for it.

Education is a very big business and every couple of years new editions must be printed in order to keep the money flowing. There are endless text books discarded yearly because of this. You just have to decide which discards you like best or think your child will like best.

Almost forgot....graph paper. A $2 notebook of graph paper has been one of the best investments I have ever made. I have used it to teach place value by cutting it into ones, tens, and hundreds. I have used it to teach rote counting, odd and even numbers, graphing, fractions, etc. Nine times out of ten you can figure out a way to copy the latest, greatest manipulatives from things in your house.

Hope this helps!! Good luck and have fun with it!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New At Homeschooling in Michigan Reply with quote

aishashule wrote:
Hello to all,

I have recently decided to take my daughter out of 6th grade at a public school and homeschool her. I have absolutely no funds for any teaching curriculum and have no idea how to begin homeschooling. Any feedback or assistance from anyone would be most helpful, especially regarding what subjects I need to teach her.

Thanks

Happy homeschooling Smile

Here are the laws for Michigan:
http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=MI

It's an easy state; you don't have to notify anyone, or prove anything. You just homeschool.

I don't think you need to worry about what "subjects" you're supposed to teach. Any thinking parent (and that would be you) knows what her dc need to know to be responsible adult people. You won't forget to do anything important ("Oh, rats, I forgot to teach my 15yo how to do long division!").

You're going to have to spend some money--you just are. But your dd is young enough that you won't have to spend very much. You can probably find everything you need at your local teacher supply store; that will get you going while you look for some good deals on-line. The library is free; you can find good books there for history and literature. If you're not sure where to start with history, just do Michigan history, or geography. over the next few months you can work on a more "official" course of study.
mary5kids
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello I am just starting again! I am in Michigan also. Does anyone know if there are any homeschool grants? A friend in another state told me that some states do. Thanks for the help! Question
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mary5kids wrote:
Hello I am just starting again! I am in Michigan also. Does anyone know if there are any homeschool grants? A friend in another state told me that some states do. Thanks for the help! Question

I have never heard of "grants." I have heard of states with government-controlled charter schools or independent study programs; people enroll their dc in those programs and get textbooks and other supplies "free of charge." The trade off is that their dc are no longer considered homeschooled but are actually public school students, and the parents must follow the requirements for the program instead of the homeschooling law.
iamloved22
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gathering info & supplies before I make the official "pull" from school. Stopped at some Salvation Army & Goodwill stores yesterday and found almost 10 assorted textbooks ranging from 1st grade through College for less than $1 each. So that is a good place to look for basic books, Also if you join a local e-mail group you may find other resourses, my local group is having a used cirriculum sale in April. Schools are another good resourse for books, my son's old elementary school has a yearly used book sale where they sell paperbacks for $0.25 and hardcovers for $0.50. Teachers donate their unused books & teaching supplies. I just can't bring myself to drop $400 on a cirriculum package for one year until I've exhausted all my other options. Hope this helps someone! If you want specific info on the book/cirriculum sales e-mail me privately. iamloved22@yahoo.com
fiveofus
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually heard of a "grant" type of program specifically for homeschoolers. I came across something called the IDEA- its a homeschool org in Alaska that basically gives homeschool families a certain stipend each year to buy curriculum. I have no idea what the requirements are and of course it is located in Alaska, but perhaps they might be a place to start to see if they know of anything else similar to it in the US.
Don't know if that will help, but I thought I would mention it.
Vampireangel9901
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

What do I need to do to get started in homeschooling. I know my kids are a little young yet, but I don't want to wait until the last minute. Also, they are about 15 months apart in age would it hurt to start them at the same time or should I start the older one a year before the younger one?
Thanks for any help you can give.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions Reply with quote

Vampireangel9901 wrote:
What do I need to do to get started in homeschooling. I know my kids are a little young yet, but I don't want to wait until the last minute. Also, they are about 15 months apart in age would it hurt to start them at the same time or should I start the older one a year before the younger one?

Well, since Michigan doesn't require anything from hsers, you're free to do anything, any time, that you want.

Your older one will, of course, be ready for more formal instruction before the younger one, but there's no reason that your younger dc can't hang around with you while you work Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: